June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 458 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,976
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've heard that outfits like Cabella's with more modern marketing & agressive sales techniques are what eventually did Herters in. If anyone has additional information please post it.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Yes, on the other end of the spectrum is the "Genuine French Canadian Crepe Suzette Pancake Mix" . Pretty good in the '60s with Fox Head beer for breakfast. I think the beer was made in Minnesota, too. About $2 per case.

Now that's a memory jog. Minnesota beers from my youth bought by my family on fishing trips. The one's you couldn't get in Iowa. Schells, Grain Belt, and Hauenstein...

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Let's see, my first real bamboo fly rod was/is a St. Albans, made in England, touted by Herters as the finest in the world. Today I see it as a piece of crap but back then it was pure magic. Oh, and then my first chain saw came from them. I think that sucker weighed 75 pounds and only ran on Tuesdays. But was I ever proud of it since my brother and I got to lay aside the big two man crosscut saw we had been using to cut fence posts. I think I read almost everything for sale in the catalogs.....and believed them!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear they got George on illegal jungle cock feathers and maybe some others. I mean, you could buy Andean condor quills and argus pheasant feathers as well as an array of monkey skins. I still have a mouse deer skin I bought in 1960 with money I got for my 15th birthday. I visited the store in 1969 and bought a fly rod and some other stuff that I still have.In 1968 I bought and FN supreme action for $72 and had a custom 22-250 made.Is his son,Jacques,still around? We would be about the same age.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember one of the Herter fly patterns. It was a "Joe Hopper". It sticks in my mind because of one particular fishing outing. All my family fly fished, not only my parents, but my sister as well. One day trip in the early 1970s was at a state park lake in Eastern Iowa called Lake Darling. The four of us caught over 130 keeper-sized panfish, in less than two hours. All on the Joe Hopper. I don't recall anyone else at the lake, using conventional tackle, catching any fish during that time.

I was using a little Berkley outfit, my first fly rod. I do remember that the combo, including rod, reel, line, and a dozen flies cost $8.88 before sales tax. I still have the reel.

Come to think about it, I think we stopped at the Mitchell, SD store once as well, on a family trip to Montana...

Last edited by Ken61; 12/15/14 08:22 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, I think Iowa was one of the 23 states Herter said the Joe Hopper was illegal in.

As long as we are enjoying Memory Lane, my dad got me a fly rod in the early 50s using Corked Tipped Raleigh Cigarettes Coupons. Much like green stamps, if you saved enough, you could get a prize. My rod was a fiberglass one. I still have it. I live 8 miles from the Madison River and the same from the Gallatin River. I have not fished either, but I do remember catching lots of crappies in Minnesota with small minnows on my rod. My dad used a split bamboo rod and some poppers or lead heads. His rod came from smoking the Raleighs , too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Ken, I think Iowa was one of the 23 states Herter said the Joe Hopper was illegal in.

As long as we are enjoying Memory Lane, my dad got me a fly rod in the early 50s using Corked Tipped Raleigh Cigarettes Coupons. Much like green stamps, if you saved enough, you could get a prize. My rod was a fiberglass one. I still have it. I live 8 miles from the Madison River and the same from the Gallatin River. I have not fished either, but I do remember catching lots of crappies in Minnesota with small minnows on my rod. My dad used a split bamboo rod and some poppers or lead heads. His rod came from smoking the Raleighs , too.

Yeah, that makes sense. I remember instructions from the Professional Guide's Manual describing how to pen up sections of a stream in order for the fish to be hungry when you brought your clients in. I believe that was the tactic that ol' Virgil Ward got in trouble for. "From the lakes of Northern Canada, to the Gulf of Mexico"..

Here's another memory jog. On the same Montana trip as the Herter's stop, We stopped in Bozeman and visited the Hot Springs. It was a really fun experience for a young kid. We then continued on to north of Seeley Lake to fish the upper and lower Holland lakes and some streams in the Bob Marshall. I made it back in the late 1980's to ski Big Sky and to visit the hot springs again. I plan on making it back again in the future for the bird hunting as well as the fishing. I'm just not sure when yet..

Regards
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a 14 year old I spent many an evening pouring over the Herters Catalog. I collect a few decoys and hunt over an old Herter spread so I recently picked up a back issue of Decoy Magazine May/June 1999 for the article 'George Herter' The PT Barnum of Decoys'. Another good article on the late Herter dynasty.
Here are 3 Herters Model 72 I refurbished last winter

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.