June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 312 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,623
Posts547,092
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

The terms "low brass", "high brass", "low base" and "high base" have absolutely nothing to do with pressures. "High brass" and "low brass" had to do with the quality of the cartridge case back in the days of paper cases and fiber base wads and today is really mostly a marketing thing. "High base" and "low base" really have no meaning today. Those terms dealt with the height of the base wad in whether the cartridge case was made for loading with bulk smokeless powders or dense smokeless powders. The "high brass" shells were Western's RECORD, Winchester's LEADER, Rem-UMC's ARROW, etc. The "low brass" shells were Western's FIELD, Winchester's REPEATER, Rem-UMC's NITRO CLUB, etc. All of these cases were made with a "low base" for loading with bulk smokeless powders or a "high base" for loading with dense smokeless powders.

Virtually all of the promotional loads sold by the big chain stores are loaded with the smallest amount of the fastest burning powder they can use and stay within SAAMI specs, meaning the pressures are right up there at the max.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another option is the B&P Comp 1. Their 7/8 oz. load is under 6000 psi and the 1 oz under 6500. They're tough to find in a retail store now, but they're readily available online. I don't know that I've ever shot a lower recoil factory shell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's fine for double guns, which is the main thrust of the discussions here, but I just bought a 1912 20 gauge mfg. in 1916- 2&1/2" chambers, 25: mod. choke solid rib and the only one of my 11 Model 12's with a straight hand buttstock- so far anyways. So, will test fire it with some factory new AA skeet loads and see- my guess it, they will hang up at the front radius of the ejection port- so, if that is the case, I'll order 2&1/2" 20 target loads from RST. I would vote for Billary before I would alter any of my Winchesters--gospel truth lads. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
I always use 2 3/4" hulls in my short chambered guns. And after literally tens of thousands of rounds I can report I still have all my fingers. All scientifically controlled tests I have seen regarding this issue concluded no significant increase in chamber pressure using the longer hull. If you're interested, call the Double Gun Journal and ask for a copy of the issue containing Sherman Bell's report on using long hulls in short chambers.

It is chamber pressure that is important, not hull length. If short and long hulls give about the same chamber pressure in a short chamber then I consider both to be safe to shoot. It's interesting to note that long after 2 3/4" ammunition became standard most American gun manufacturers continued to cut their chambers 2 5/8" but recommended using the longer 2 3/4" hull.

+1, Joe is right on the money with this one. The catch is, you almost have to reload, I've not seen any data on commercial 2 3/4" ammo that is low pressure. The only one is RST 2 3/4" which they told me is around 7500psi IIRC (you can call them to get the exact pressure). My reloads are 5900psi and have worked just fine in my 2 1/2" guns and they kill birds just fine. In fact I had my J. Harkom hammergun (circa 1890) out yesterday

I also use these reloads in my Nitro Proofed Damascus guns, no problems there either.

Good Luck!

Greg

Greg, Beautiful Harkom! 5,900 psi is LOW. I'm assuming that's a 12ga? The RST 16ga. 2 1/2", 1 oz "Lite" loads are 7,000 psi at 1,200 fps.

Matt

Sidelock
Sidelock

fla3006, I believe SAMMI maximum pressure for a 12 gauge is about 11,500 psi. That is way above what the service pressure most short chambered guns were designed for. And just about all American ammo is loaded towards that max. Not because it gives superior performance, it doesn't, but because high chamber pressures are needed to operate most automatics. Virtually identical downrange performance can easily be accomplished with 7,000 psi or thereabouts. That's well within the normal 3 tonne proof most British guns have.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
fla3006 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So which factory ammo would you recommend for late 1800s Parker damascus 2.5" 12 ga?

Last edited by fla3006; 10/16/16 12:20 PM.

Hunt with vintage classics.
The right of the people to keep & bear arms shall not be infringed.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Parker is not chambered 2 1/2" but rather 2 5/8". If you're not going to reload I suggest RST or some of the ammunition other posters have recommended above. Good stuff.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
fla3006 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Joe & others, guess I will try RST or B&P

Hunt with vintage classics.
The right of the people to keep & bear arms shall not be infringed.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Low pressure loads are a lot better for the wood on older shotguns

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Linn
Low pressure loads are a lot better for the wood on older shotguns

Hi, sorry, but pressure has no effect the wood. What does is velocity and the weight of the shot.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.