June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, azgreg, Gitano, CJF), 152 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,171
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#470976 01/28/17 07:22 PM
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got this 12ga F Williams gun that I thought was restorable. Turns out it has rotten tubes. It's not a High Grade, and came with Twist barrels. I seriously doubt I'll be able to fall into a set of tubes that can be fitted, so I'm considering Monoblocking, at least until I decide to make it a parts gun.

This post is to see if any of you want to do it in exchange for Damascus refinishing, since I don't want to put any real money into it.

I don't have a donor set of tubes yet, so I'd also be willing to again trade my services for a set of tubes.

Anyone out there interested?

Regards,
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 01/29/17 07:32 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken:

Peter Dyson has Damascus tubes, I'm not sure at L350 each if they are what you want...............the small bit of interesting reading that goes along with them is free.

https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/ORIGINAL_DAMASCUS_BARRELS.html

HTH

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can find a few good sets of barrels on EBay if you watch for them. As donor barrels your able to select anything with length needed and not worn out. I'd look for a good brown set which has decent bores and not dented up. I'd stay away from British barrels which start out thinner than American barrels.

I found an extra set of Demarcus barrels for a Baker last year for less than $50.00. When I got them their serial number was within 100 of the gun I was adding them to as a second set of barrels. Not an exact fit as they came to me but within ten minutes they fit well and by half an hour they were a perfect fit. I got lucky on them. I have missed on a few others. You put your money down and take your chances. If they don't work out just relist them and move on.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I'm always checking EBay for a set, but reasonably priced ones are rare. HTH, the gun isn't worth that kind of expense, but thanks for the link. Probably my best bet will be Gunshows, from a Parts Guy.

All is moot if nobody takes me up on the work.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 02/01/17 08:10 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How many MM are the hammers? Center of axle to center of face. 31- 32-33 perhaps.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It looks to be approx. 32mm, without removing the hammer screws.

Regards
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you decide to part it out let me know. Those hammers are a perfect fit for one of my project guns. Might have to weld up the hammer shaft and refit to time them but they are an exact duplicate of those on my Osborne. My left hammer is undersized, crude replacement but the right one is exactly like yours with just a little extra engraving. I'll pm you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter Dyson's tube need a lot and I mean a lot of work .I costed up a pair for a project of my own but the cost was prohibitive .

As far as buying a set of barrels with the idea of fitting them to the Williams action , can I just say in all the years I spent in the gun trade I have only managed this on two occasions by finding barrels of the same maker and of similar age . I did have a very good set of Horsley barrels which I must have tried on at least a dozen other guns without any chance of a successful outcome .

Last edited by gunman; 02/28/17 11:53 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman I think he was thinking of buying a set of old barrels to use for sleeving using them and the Williams barrels as a monoblock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I get you . This has been done before but you will need to get a lot of heat into the backends to melt the old brass ,for some reason it seems to need to be hotter to take apart than to braze .
Others may shout me down but I have done more than a few re braze lumps and thats how it always seemed to me .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.