September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (JulesW, ArtLavely, Argo44, 12boreman, 1 invisible), 472 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Guys, I know it's a pretty classless model, but it's mine. I bought wood furniture to replace the Tenite. The stock screw's hiding at the bottom of that 9-1/4" deep hole in the butt. I've got a screwdriver that will reach, with a blade that will fit in the slot. But I can't find the slot with the blade. I shine the penlight in, get a mental picture of the position of the head (it's not on center down there), and the angle of the slot. Then I lower the blade and probe for the screw. So far, no luck. If I ever get it out I'll saw a cross slot in it before I reinstall. Please tell me there's a magic trick for getting the blade in the slot, before I saw the stock off and have done with it!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try wrapping tape around the shaft of the screw driver close to the blade until it will just slip into the hole. This will keep it centered in the hole and should help. It also keeps you from thinking your in the slot when you are along side the bolt head.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If and when you get it out, replace the screw with a hex head bolt.
Easy to remove or install with a thin wall socket and a long extension.
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Other than keeping at what you are doing the only other thought is to buy a 12 pack of beer and tell all your buddies that the first one to get it off gets the 12 pack. You would be surprised how well this works.

Wbldon

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my martinis has a round headed bolt with slot for a big screwdriver easy to get too and only problem is that I have to stick a couple spacers (washers) in the hole as when the slack is fully taken up buttstock is still too loose. OK on the plan #2 which is a piece of 3/8 threaded rod and a couple of 3/8 nuts. Only thing is that the hole in the stock is too small even using a thin wall extension socket. Tried the socket on another and had no problem.Any ideas?. Frank

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It was not in the center of the hole so I couldn't just wrap tape around the shaft. I taped a piece of rigid plastic tubing just larger than the screw head onto the shaft of the screwdriver, with the end flush with end of the blade. That helped me center the blade, and I got it on the second try. Not knowing where to find a 1/4-24 hex head bolt, I cut a second slot in the slothead bolt Numrich sent me and "phillipsized" it. Frank, could you maybe switch from hex to phillips?
Now I need to find someone who can let out the .410 wood forend I bought to fit my 20ga (couldn't find a 20ga forend). And figure out how to get this nasty white fungus off the Tenite. What kind of creepy Body Snatcher organism grows on plastic? Ye-e-ech.
In case anyone wants to know, the Tenite stock takes a short screw that screws into an adaptor which then screws into the rear end of the - receiver? The wood stock takes a longer/thicker screw, dispenses with the adaptor, and has a 1/4-24 thread. I have the other dimensions if anyone wants them. The smaller screw is 0.2115" in diameter with 24 threads pre inch, so 12-24?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paint the Tenite stock some tackticool color and include it in your buggout kit. Don't forget to add Picatinny rails and vinted heat guard.

Another radical idea, if you're planning to trash the stock, just saw it off to get to the screw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the hole in the new wood is not big enough for a thin wall socket get a socket head bolt of that size. Then you can use a long Allen wrench to reach it, like Perazzi uses. you might have to get a washer with a reduced diameter hole in it because the head on the Allen screws are a bit smaller than a regular hex head. Works really good.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anhedonius,

A previous discussion on this site, dealt with Steven's doubles and how many people started with them and how many people still use them, myself included. Michael McIntosh started with a Stevens double. They have very little snob appeal but they are definitely classy.

Swampman

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Anhedonius,
I am a little surprised that you were the only one talking about a 1/4-24 thread. I have found different actions with 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 threads cross threaded into them. I believe the thread is actually 14-24;1/4-24 is only a few thousandths larger and will work, just a little tight. I happen to have a 14-24 tap and die, and have had to use them pretty often to clean up a cross threaded hole, or make up a new screw. A 14-24 or 1/4-24 tap and die set can get you out of a tight spot and is worthwhile keeping on hand.
Mike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.