June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hugh Lomas, Licensed to kill, LeFusil, dogon, 2 invisible), 336 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,986
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
gnappi Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

A painful set of memories to be sure... for her :-)

I went into a LARGE chain LGS and a fellow I knew who worked there said: "Pssst, Gary, I have something to show you, stay right there"

He went into the back and brought out a Beretta long gun box, then pulled out and assembled a beautiful Beretta 687 EELL. He told me the management must have made a mistake on the price (it was rather low) and even though he argued with them that the price was WRONG, they got angry at him and told him to sell it at the price on the sticker. Well, beside having an EXTRA 10% off (one day only) AND getting an EXTRA 15% off if you applied for and opened a credit card with their store name I was thunderstruck and bought it. What shotgunner could refuse such a deal? Not many I'll bet

Well when I got it home did the wifey say, "honey that's such a GR8 deal, congrats" No she went through the roof and didn't talk to me for weeks, which as it happens I quite enjoyed :-)

The next (at the same store, same salesman) time I bought a Beretta (I like Berettas) 391 20ga. youth (despite my son being only 7 or 8) and again got the same treatment from the missus.

The last time I bought a rare NIB 20+ year old handgun as an "Investment" and was once again thrown into the dog house. Well fast forward 5 years from then and a collector of this brand paid me a LOT more than I paid for it (it came with 9 OEM extra mags that themselves were selling for well over a hundred bucks each) and when I got home, I had stuffed wads of 5x100 dollar bills in different pockets I met her in the kitchen and counted out one of the wads after which she said, "What is that for?" I reminded her of the investment handgun and told her it had increased in value and the $500 was to go buy some new dresses. Then I pulled out another $500 wad, counted it out for her and she asked, "what's THAT for?" I said for shoes to match the dress :-) Then pulled yet ANOTHER $500 wad, counted it and said it was to reimburse us for the "investment" I made. When asked if there was any more? I said there was but it was for me to play with :-)

By this time when I brought home a rare MIJ Winchester 101 with screw chokes she just nodded at me, avoided the argument and said to tell her if I sold it. I did not I traded it for a very nice no longer made guitar!

Anyone else?

Last edited by gnappi; 12/09/17 06:00 PM.

Regards,

Gary

"What you get for free has no value"
Boxlock
Boxlock

Great to see your post pop up as I take photos of one beloved Brit BLE that does exist in my wife's eyes next to a new Beretta that does not yet exist...worth noting that this was a pre-wedding purchase, mind you.

I did carry it on a short walkabout she accompanied me on last month and it got a couple extra glances. No words though. We're about to move, so I get the feeling that I'm just looking at a pot of cold water on the stove. Might heat up in a few days.

Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited by ponderosa; 12/09/17 05:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure I would have been in the dog house, had the wife known about some of my purchases!

One time a friend came over to check out a sxs I had purchased. My wife usually got home from work about an hour later than I. Anyway, he had the shotgun in his hands eyeballing it and I heard the door open. Earlier than expected, my wife walked in and wondered what was up? I told her, my friend brought his new shotgun over to show me and without skipping a beat, he said "well, I'd better be going" and walked out of the house with the shotgun in his hands and left for his home. He brought it in to work the next day and I was able to slip it into the house and put away before my wife came home that evening.

Great story, by the way!

Last edited by Cameron; 12/09/17 05:49 PM.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, Gnappi, I want you to be clear on one sentence. Did you "quite enjoy it" mean you enjoyed the gun or the silent treatment?

I hope Cameron truly appreciates his friend. Especially when he didn't keep the gun for himself. After all what could Cameron do, complain about it to his wife?

Years ago I sold a shotgun to an acquaintance and he told me to keep quiet because otherwise there would be a new dress hanging in his wife's closet the next day. It would have been an expensive dress!

Lucky for us, most women can't tell a Purdey from a Daisy Red Rider.

Sidelock
Sidelock

None, since LONG ago I set up a "Gun" fund for myself and a "Fun" fund for her, and insured she was well accounted smile

Only question we are allowed to ask is "Where are you going to put it!!"

Been married to her for 47 years so far

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/10/17 12:06 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never has happened. The first CHRISTmas present my wife ever bought me, one month after we were married 46 years ago, was a new gun. That has never been an issue in our marriage.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm up to fourteen shotguns, only five or six she knew about. The newest one, a Miruko 28ga....when I showed her the gun, I explained to her that I 'traded' one of my other guns for it. Well it was one of the guns she knew nothing about. I have agreed with her however, buy a gun...sell a gun. Works for me.

Last edited by dal; 12/09/17 07:12 PM.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
gnappi Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: James Flynn
Hey, Gnappi, I want you to be clear on one sentence. Did you "quite enjoy it" mean you enjoyed the gun or the silent treatment?

Yes to both :-)

Regards,

Gary

gnappi Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: dal
>>SNIP<<I have agreed with her however, buy a gun...sell a gun. Works for me.

After 29 years of marriage we came to that agreement also, we called it the "no net gain of guns" accord which was shortly followed by the divorce agreement some 10 years ago :-)

Last edited by gnappi; 12/09/17 07:42 PM.

Regards,

Gary

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was married, my wife and I arrived at a perfectly reasonable accommodation. Whenever I bought a gun, I needed to buy her some jewelry of roughly equivalent value.

Gun buying got a lot less expensive after my divorce. Good thing, because I've got a lot less money! laugh

Last edited by canvasback; 12/09/17 07:56 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.