September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (12boreman, Southern Sport, 1 invisible), 461 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,853
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was an in depth comparison of the CZ Bobwhite 28 and 20 by a Canadian with the upshot being the 28 was a better balanced gun and very close to a British game gun in balance and handling characteristics. There were some issues mostly relating to finish and wood plainness according to the tastes of the reviewer. The site no longer exists, but I was able to dig it up in the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20120913042414/http://www.members.shaw.ca/sharptail/CZReview.pdf
The 20 ga. was considerably heavier and over 6 lbs. by almost half a pound whereas the 28 was 5 lbs., 6 oz. Mine is 5 lbs., 3 oz. It's too bad the Bobwhite isn't in production. My 28 had stiff triggers, but that was remedied. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: coosa
I have a 20 gauge CZ Upland model with 28" barrels and DT. The triggers were way too heavy but my gunsmith was able to get them in very good shape. It's a well made gun and I would use it a lot were it not for the fact that it shoots low. Instead of the 60/40 type pattern that I like, it shoots something like 20/80. It mostly stays in the safe.

That's an easy fix, coosa. Just build up the comb. It'll shoot higher. You can do it a little at the time and watch the pattern come up. If it is centered now, right and left, be careful not to build up the side toward your face as you build up the comb height. Some people use large pieces of moleskin and build them up until they are high enough, but they also let it wrap down the side which pushes the pattern left or right, according to whether the shooter is left handed or right handed.

SRH

Stan, thanks for the advice. This gun has the same issue as the Beretta 425 that we talked about on here last year. If I put either of them on sandbags and aim down the rib, the POI of both guns is well below the POA. All of my other sxs guns when shot in this manner will either center the pattern up/down or shoot a little high. The Beretta 626 shoots about 70/30 high at 40 yards and that seems to fit my style of shooting perfectly. I really struggle with a gun that impacts low.

When I use either of the low shooting guns in wing shooting or clays, the low impact of the guns isn't quite as bad because I see a lot of the rib. That is, when I mount the gun it looks like I am aiming high and that compensates to some degree for the gun shooting low. We discussed buying an add on rib for the 425, and you even found a place that could make me one. I was going to order one, but I first wanted the gun to be fitted for choke tubes and it turned out to be too small in diameter so I just let it go.

Building up the comb would probably keep my face in a more consistent position, but I would still be seeing the rib and such things annoy me too much to wanna deal with it. I'd rather just use one of my guns that allows me to look right down the rib and hit the target.

I hope I have explained this so my issue can be understood; it always seems to cause confusion when I try to explain it. Probably will now as well. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Soooo, you said "but I would still be seeing the rib and such things annoy me too much to wanna deal with it. I'd rather just use one of my guns that allows me to look right down the rib and hit the target."

Let me see if I understand better. If you had a shotgun with front and middle beads, you would desire the middle bead to be directly in line with the front bead for normal use?

And not very much of the rib would be visible?

Yes?

Thank you
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 01/04/18 11:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Soooo, you said "but I would still be seeing the rib and such things annoy me too much to wanna deal with it. I'd rather just use one of my guns that allows me to look right down the rib and hit the target."

Let me see if I understand better. If you had a shotgun with front and middle beads, you would desire the middle bead to be directly in line with the front bead for normal use?

And not very much of the rib would be visible?

Yes?

Thank you
Mike

Mike, that describes the sight picture that I want. In fact, my 626 has a middle bead and that is exactly the sight picture I get with it. The stock has the right amount of drop so that I don't see the rib at all, just the 2 beads and I can float the target right over them and hit it. Am I unusual in wanting my guns to shoot this way?

When I brought up this issue last year regarding the 425, there were different opinions given on it. Let me emphasize that I don't look at the barrel when wing shooting, I always focus on the bird. But I want to see a consistent sight picture when I practice my mount, and the only way I've found to be consistent is for my right eye to be looking right down the rib without seeing it.

It's my opinion that a gun ought to shoot to the point where the rib is aimed. If it shoots above that point, and a lot of my shotguns do, I've found that I can adjust to it by floating the target over the rib and do ok. If the gun shoots below that point, I've never been able to adapt very well.

When I brought my 425 home I carried it out to my little home range and missed 6 consecutive shots on targets going straight away. I then put it on sandbags and shot to where the rib was aimed and found that point of impact was well below the point of aim. I really wanted to use the gun, so in time I bought a fiber optic set that attaches to the rib and has a center bead near the muzzle and one on each side about halfway down the barrel. I was able to adjust it so that the gun shoots to the point where the 3 beads are level and that gives me an idea of how much of the rib I need to see. I practiced with it a good bit and have taken quite a few doves with it, but it's still less than ideal.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread. I can offer you a good deal on a CZ if you want a 20 gauge. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Am I unusual in wanting my guns to shoot this way?
Yes.
Wrong? No!
Most folks see from a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the beads.
But you can do it any way you wish.
Here is an ODD experiment.
If you can find an expendable CHEAP
stock and attempting to get your desired sight picture
REMOVE some wood from the comb of the stock and see what happens.
You might even whittle a stock from pine to test the theory.
Mike

p.s. I expect to get some disagreement on this but consider your unusual fulcrum point.

Last edited by skeettx; 01/04/18 11:20 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take a look at F.A.I.R Rizzini Iside.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive had problems with every single selective CZ I have had. The guns were either 20 or 28 gauge guns. Doubling, not firing, going off when Closing the action. The latest was a 28 ga Sharptail that has great wood but too may problems to keep. Started doubling no matter what barrel was selected, returned to have it repaired and just got it back yesterday after 1 month. Took it and my CZ upland (double triggers) shooting. First shot, click. Very light strike, put different shell in and good for the next 5 shots. Station 2 first shot click, again light strike, next 5 ok. Station 3, again click on first shell, opened up and it discharged as I was opening it!!! Tried again and right barrel good, left click and no primer strike. Tied again and the same result. Put gun away and shot the upland SxS with no problems. No more Turkish SxS single selective triggers for me again, said that after 3 ring necks with the same problems and all were slightly different vintage and selector design. Was told Sharptail was totally new design and those problems were addressed. NOT. The only problem is these >~\[ guns fit me great. Was looking at getting an Iside but not sure if Im going for single or double trigger. Sold my SKB 385 SxS 28 gauge because it didnt fit me good. Never had a problem with any other SST SxS other than Turkish. Other friends who have the same gun have had similar problems, one guy had none! No more for me!

Last edited by YooperJ; 04/28/19 10:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks,
YooperJ
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.