June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (John E, battle, MattH, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 311 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,027
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a bit lost. I know exactly how the Baker ejectors work but I don't know what those pins are for. Each side only has 3 components -
1) the ejector box, which is visible in the photo above and also acts as the ejector tripper.
2) the ejector kicker, which is the bit that strikes the end of the extractors. This also has a spring guide (tail) attached which runs nearly the length of the ejector box.
3) the spring, which is enclosed within the box and around the tail of the ejector kicker.
Where were those pins located?
There is an explanation here https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-baker-ejector
Since you have the forend iron off, it is very easy to disassemble the ejectors. You just have to drive the cross-pin out that the ejector boxes pivot on and carefully push them out, keeping in mind that they are under tension.
Keep the pictures coming and we will collectively get this sorted out...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree on the pins. Where are they in the ejectors? They are probably a modification. Usually just the three parts. Also agree that you'll get this sorted out. Very satisfying to get old guns back in action.

Last edited by Hammergun; 02/20/20 05:19 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I figured the pins are a home made affair. There is a hole in each end of the ejector box and there was a pin in each of the them. They fell out when I removed the ejector mechanism. I could not see their purpose and you can see where they have been coming out of the box and pushing against the forearm. I think maybe somebody put the pins in there as a guide rod for the coil springs for some reason. They look like cut off nails. I will post some pics when I get back in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is an interesting gun. My FP lacks ejectors but has a bit more engraving on the action and the barrel with a tang safety and a few other variations. Apparently, you could get them made to order. Mine was lettered and made in 1903 for someone in New York.

Looks like a great project gun.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe the pins are the broken tails of the ejector hammers.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got the ejector mechanism apart. Everything is there but needs a good cleaning. In the second pic you can see one spring is longer than the other. I don't know how long they are supposed to be, or if one was broken/cut or if one was stretched. The ejector with the shorter spring kept de-cocking as soon as the forearm is removed so I'm thinking that spring has been shortened. In the third pic you can see the hole in the end of the ejector box where those pins went in. In the last pic you can see where the pins have been coming out and digging into the forearm wood. I think the pins were installed by someone for whatever reason and are not supposed to be there. I'm thinking they were installed because maybe someone thought the springs were coiling up inside the box and they didn't count on them popping out when the ejectors were activated.?

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/20/20 02:05 PM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The pins should be one with the ejectors, they keep everything inline. You may indeed need to replace springs but make the ejectors and pins a solid piece before you proceed.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now I see. Those pins are part of the ejectors. That will be fun getting those tacked back on straight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do they look like to original tails? Any chance you can see if the pins look like they broke off?
Just want to make sure that you are not about to weld some old nail of the wrong length onto the ejectors.
I think it was pretty common for them to break off. I have certainly seen them welded back together.
All that being said, be prepared that this may not cure the issues but this is the place to start.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It does look like they may have come off the ejectors. But, as they are now, if the ejector is back in the cock position, these pins protrude just out of the holes in the ejector box or housing. If the ejectors are ahead in the un-cocked position, they would go ahead far enough that they would be right inside the housing. Is that the correct way? Or should these pins still be just sticking out of the housing when the ejectors are full ahead? If so, then they are too short.

I just had a look at the link that Blue Grouse posted and by looking at the diagram, the pins should be protruding out of the housing when the ejector is back in the cocked position. So these pins are too short.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/20/20 04:35 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.