September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Walter C. Snyder, Perry M. Kissam, Mt Al, 1 invisible), 478 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,846
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47185 07/06/07 08:33 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm considering purchasing a fox sterlingworth philadelphia gun. the price is 325. and the gun looks pretty good with one exception - the inside of both barrels are covered with spots. is this something that can typically be fixed without a great deal of cost or is it something that can be done without much difficulty. i realize this all depends on how deep the corrosion is but it doesn't appear to be too bad. I'd appreciate any help that can be provided.

Scott

Sidelock
Sidelock

The price is very low by today's standards. I would look closely to see if they are frost spots, filth, or pits. I would clean the barrels thoroughly before any assessment. I was recently given an LC that looked awful in the barrels, after cleaning, the bores were in good shape with some slight frosting.

If after cleaning, they look like deep pits I would get the opinion of someone who is qualified in double guns. Keep in mind if this is an older version the chambers will not be 2 3/4 unless some one has had them reamed.

Jim

Last edited by jjwag69; 07/06/07 09:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good double gun gunsmith could measure the bores and if barrels are thick enough could probably remove all or most of the pits. Mike Orlen would be a good smith to send barrels to. Bobby

bbman3 #47197 07/06/07 09:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Spots come in different sizes and depths. The price is great,if they polish out without problems but someone needs to check the thickness of the tubes.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scott: Fox Sterlingworth has one of the strongest boxlock actions ever built on either side of the pond. I've never seen one "shoot loose. The barrels are almost always "Sterlingworth Fluid Compressed Steel" & is comparable to Krupp or the best fluid steel in this country at that time. The advice Jim gave about cleaning is great. If the spots remain after cleaning take the gun to a qualified gunsmith. At that price you can afford to spend some money on it.

George L

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox SW barrels are typically heavy-walled and what looks like a cordurory road can be cleaned up with .004-5" off the bore wall. I'd worry a bit about continuous "ring" corrosion that can't be honed out--say at the chamber intersection with forcing cone. We've had a couple of posters here and on a "safe with modern ammo" query state with conviction that you can take the safety margin in these 80-90 yr. old guns for granted simply because it says Fox or fluid-compressed. I had a 3C SW derelict that handled a few Federal game loads without blowing up. So What? The truth is the safety margin is in ONLY shooting SAAMI max pressure loads in guns made in the SAAMI max era. For suspect guns which have been "renewed", buy, reload, and shoot loads with pressures certainly no greater than the standard pressure of loads available when the gun was new. And the Newtonian penalty of heavy shot charges (recoil) does absolutely nothing good for 90 yr. old wood either.

jack

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.