September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ArtLavely, SKB, battle, Walter C. Snyder, steve voss, 1 invisible), 485 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,933
Posts550,850
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Der Ami, et al;

Have you German gun experts noticed this gun that is for sale at Graham MacKinlay's in Scotland. It was put up this week. It appears to be a quality gun and I for one would like for you and your colleagues to tell us about the gun and the makers.

https://www.gmackinlay.com/product/12g-sidelock-ejector-by-sempert-krieghoff-29-3-4-x-2-1-2-barrels/

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't seen it before; it is, well, a Krieghoff. You can see a couple pins behind the sidelocks which could be a sign of cracks having repaired. Also, the forearm has some kind of damage. The provided some description but didn't show proof marks. They mentioned the typical cheekpiece, but not the high comb.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pins may be a Lefever Optimus-ish embellishment, or hiding a through pin, but this is a serious crack

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

and someone used the wrong turnscrew frown

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew; Maybe a deep scratch and not a crack as I do not see it on the left side. Yes, I can see the work of the fraternal order of hammer fisted turnscrewers.

Der Ami; The pins appear to be ivory embellishments. But what I am interested in was what sort of quality were the Germans producing at the time of this gun. What can you tell us about what you would expect the quality of the side lock internals on this gun from mid 1920's. It looks to me to be about a 3rd quality sidelock if I were using English standards of quality. You can see for instance, the imperfect sizing and line of the engraved border--although it was not uncommon to have an apprentice engrave the borders after the experienced engravers did the scroll work even for the English.

Last edited by bushveld; 07/22/22 01:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

bushveld,
As far as the pins being ivory embellishments, all things are possible. In my opinion, without evidence, if the stock maker intended them as only embellishments, they would have been considerably more ornate. I have not seen the internals of the locks. Why would anyone compare "standards of quality" without comparing price at the same time? Regarding the borders, the engraving is not the same along the entire border(s). It appears that sometime in its century of existence, someone other than the original engraver made repairs to the border, possibly by welding up pitted areas and recutting the border. Considering its current location, it is entirely possible this was done by an English engraver.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The placement of the "pins" is not best quality work. The rear pin's placement, up and down, is fine, though not exactly the same "front and rear". The forward pin isn't even close to being in the same position on each side. On the right side it is roughly centered, up and down. But, on the left side it is way lower than the centerline. I think there is something going on with them besides embellishment. And, that looks more like a scratch to me, too, than a crack, on the right side.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a money maker, Taubenflinte / Pigeon gun being the Modell „Monaco”. Pinnacle of Perfection( „Monaco” stellt die Krone aller unsererDoppelflinten dar, ist allerdings auch die teuerste unter ihnen.) offering with one upgrade above this one; just being more adorned I think. I would like to see the proofmarks & as Ford would state, I'd like to have it in hand. I think the dark creases on the stock are scratches and not cracks, but in hand will tell the tale. Stocked in the German style. Too, I think the ebony inlay was um supposed to be held by the ivory pins at the rear of the Church Windows. Working on conformation on this & the hand of the engraver.

I would say a Jewell in my book & I would be honoured to be the new Custodian.

>>Taubenflinte Monaco

Dieses Modell wird als Spezialtaubenflinte gebaut. Es hat Original-Holland-Holland-Seitenschlosse und geteilten Holland-Holland-Ejektor. Die Seitenschlosse tragen wie bei, „Tiflis” Singnalpfeile, die, nach dem Patronenlager geridnet, daß die Schlosse gespannt sind. Zigen sie nach der Laufmündung, so deuten sie an, daß der Schß hinaus ist, die schlosse also entspannt sind. Auf Wunsch können jedoch auch Signalstifte oben auf der Scheibe angebracht werden. Die Sicherung ist als Schiebersicherung auf dem Kolbenhals angeordnet und wird je nach Wunsch als automatiche oder nicht automatische geliefert. Der Verschluss is der Scottverschluß mit Greener-Querriegel oder der in Ausland oft verlangte Purdey-Verschluß. Seitenbäckchen an der Basküle verstärken den Verschluß. Der Flinte is ihren Charakter als Taubenflinte entsprechend etwas schwerer als „Bias”. Sie kann auch mit Einabzug geliefert werden „Monaco” stellt die Krone aller unsererDoppelflinten dar, ist allerdings auch die teuerste unter ihnen. Sie ist in jerder Hinsicht mit aller nur erdenklichen Sorgflat gearbeitet und Stück für Stück ein Meisterwerk. Die äußere Aufmachung entspricht der inneren Qualität. Der Schaft, aus ausgesuchtem, tiefdunkle Wurzelnußholz wird meist ohne Pistolgriff und Backe hergestellt, auf Wunch natürlich aber auch in deutschem Geschmack. Hervorragende Schußleistung macht dieses Gewehr zu einem Sportgewehr erste Klasse.

Mit Einabzug für Läufe mehr…….

Automatisch sich in den Schaft rollender Gewehrriemen<<

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too, if anyone wants the German text converted, I'll make a stab @ it maybe with Wolfgang's assistance.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, I am not sure why it is equipped with the Anson Pushrod forend fastner unless that was proper for a Pichón gun?? I'll have to look.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to Wolfgang, we now know that @ the Tip of the Pinnacle of Perfektion we find the „Monoco II“. So our subject example may be a hybrid of just a „Monoco I“

https://www.proxibid.com/Guns-Milit...hotgun-with-Case/lotInformation/44366293

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.