September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, eeb, bghntr416, Fusil, bushveld, 2 invisible), 232 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,052
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#646707 05/10/24 08:49 PM
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

It was a shock to me to learn today in GRAY'S SPORTING JOURNAL that the South Carolina writer Roger Pinckney died more than a month ago. To my way of thinking Roger was a man of many seasons and writing was his God given talent; I think this comment from the Charleston Mercury about him is appropriate: "....... Indeed, he was a double-barreled Southern persona and writer, gripped by the land. Roger lived out the traditions that few understand; however, important literary critics like James Kibler, who in his Faulkner the Southerner, would no doubt see him as he does the Mississippi bard when he writes: “Southern ways have to do with pressing terra ferma.”

Roger was born into one of those South Carolina families that have been here for 300 years; families such as Seabrook, Middleton, Rutledge, Hampton, Lucas, Horry and so forth; and I suspect that in his lineage he was related to most of them.

Below are several memorial writings about Roger and his love of the South Carolina low country and Daufauskie Island.

https://www.charlestonmercury.com/single-post/having-a-round-with-roger-pinckney-xi

https://www.postandcourier.com/beau...d6242cc-f287-11ee-8b51-d795f7e339c3.html

https://yourislandnews.com/roger-pinckney-xi/

As you read these memorials above some of you will think that he and Michael MacIntosh must have been made of similar molds. You owe it to yourself to read Roger's last writing in the current issue of GRAY'S.

Kind Regards;
Stephen Howell ------Cedar Creek, South Carolina

Last edited by bushveld; 05/10/24 09:34 PM.
3 members like this: redoak, John Roberts, Hammergun
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is something about low-country writers which is just compelling. I know Roger Pinckney's writings and always enjoyed him. Maybe my interest was brought on by growing up in Gainesville, Florida and wandering the swamps and scrub oaks (big scrub) of the Saint Johns river area as a boy. My own cousin Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings wrote "Cross Creek" in the 1940's which is as good a memoir of what it like to live in that area at the time as any. God Bless Roger. . .you certainly left a legacy.

Florida had 1.5 million population at the time. . .there were still panthers in Ocala National Forest.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/10/24 11:34 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
2 members like this: John Roberts, bushveld
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was very saddened when I heard of Pinckney's passing some weeks ago. He had become my favorite writer of outdoor stories many years ago. He wrote of things, and in a style, that I could relate to, growing up as I did in rural GA near the SC Lowcountry. I remember a story he wrote about things he had witnessed that were just unexplainable. One was in the aftermath of a storm on Daufuskie. He walked down the dirt driveway of his house to the mailbox and noticed a big mud puddle teeming with good sized fish. As he stood there pondering it a native Daufuskian who he knew walked up. As they looked down at the fish in the driveway the native said "Sometime a man jes got to shake he ha-id." Typical Pinckney.

For a good read, in typical Pinckney style, try to find The Steakhouse Stickup.It was published in Sporting Classics some time ago.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sorry to hear of his passing. One of my favorite authors...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wasn't Roger Pinckney a member here for a while? I don't remember the name he used here, and I may be mistaking someone else for him.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.