June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (jake van dyke, playing hooky, Roundsworth, SamW, fuhrmann, Stanton Hillis), 369 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,989
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have an Ithaca SKB 600 O/U 12 that I bought to shoot SC. I think the barrels on these were silver brazed and can be hot blued? Question two, there are machined areas on the sides of the barrel set that are not blued. Does this need to be redone after the bluing?

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My SKB 500 has the “naked” silver areas on each side of the barrel breeches.

I can’t see it specified in their old catalogues (downloadable online) but my impression is that the areas are hard-chromed or similar (nitrided?).

Last edited by Parabola; 05/14/24 02:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Removing bluing can be easily removed from any area you desire. Just tell the person doing the job and they will do it as part of the job. Barrel flats on doubles often have any blue removed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don’t have much experience with SKB O/Us but some of the SxSs had black chrome barrels. They are white chrome with black chrome over it.

To blue chrome barrels every bit of the chrome must be removed. It can be done with acid but it is a nasty job. The black comes off easily, the white takes a bit more effort and it is difficult to tell when it’s all gone. Any little bit remaining will not take bluing.

I would not do it again.

3 members like this: ChiefAmungum, John Roberts, NCTarheel
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Ithaca/SKB 600 that coincidently I shoot SC with. Needs some work on the finish. This one at least is blued as I compare it to a Ithaca /SKB 100 that is certainly black chromed. I don't know if all 600's are blued. I will say that the black chrome is tough, capital T tough. Wouldn't want to try to remove it.

I'm going to rust blue the 600's barrels both to try to improve them and to learn how. The 600 is a good try gun and am not too worried about the outcome. I would not hazard a guess as to how these barrels are joined. Rust blue will not harm them. Having a proper boiling tank fabbed up soon!

I am concerned, as is Samson that the machine turned portions of the barrels will need protection from the process? If they are gone so be it, but...

Thanks,

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m with the consensus regarding black chrome. Just leave it alone…..but in this modern age of finishes….some guys are doing some amazing things with cerakote these days. I recently finished a post 64’ Winchester 94 for a friend that had that horrid black chrome finish on the receiver. It needed to be chemically stripped and then the receiver was cerakoted….it looked like regular bluing when it was all said and done. His ugly post 64’ model 94’ turned out looking like a “real” old school 94’.
My SKB/Weatherby Orion (SKB 505’ish equivalent) duck gun is blued. I think they were hot blued.

Pics of the 94’. The only thing cerakoted was the receiver, everything else was blued including the barrel.
Receiver after stripping off the black chrome finish, nickel and copper coating gets stripped next (PITA)
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

After stripping, polishing and fresh cerakote applied:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

1 member likes this: earlyriser
Boxlock
Boxlock

Damn. That looks good. Would’ve never believed it. Is it this nice in steel, not pixels?

1 member likes this: LeFusil
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow Dustin, fantastic job you did. Wish I was that talented!

Regards

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
1 member likes this: LeFusil
Boxlock
Boxlock

Lefusil:

Great ceracoat on the 94. Is that the same 94 that you posted a picture of with a ring around one of the receiver screw holes?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DSchrank
Lefusil:

Great ceracoat on the 94. Is that the same 94 that you posted a picture of with a ring around one of the receiver screw holes?

Yessir. Same gun. That ring was the copper substrate that was applied before the application of the chrome plating.
I won’t do another one. It was a big, giant pita.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.