June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (btbell), 305 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,014
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#53138 08/21/07 09:04 PM
Jason H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was discussed sometime ago but I wanted to ask a few more quetions to see if others could help me get some better answers. I am getting ready to ship a gun to a gunsmith for some work.

I have priced UPS and was blown away by what they charge for insurance. They charge $2.20 for every $100 dollars in value. So for a $6000.00 insurance "policy" UPS would charge me $129.80 just in insurance. I checked as I read here that some guys use the US postal service and use Registered Mail. They will insure in the range of $6000-$7000 for $18.95 if I am looking at the cost chart correctly. That sure is a huge difference if you ask me. The problem is that Registered Mail is a pain in that you must have a box with no writing on it, no clear tape (only paper tape). My shipping container is a Cabela's Heavy Duty Double Rifle case which weighs around 25 lbs, as it has .080 aluminum construction. I have the box it came in and will ship it in that box. I would have to wrap this box in brown construction paper and then use paper tape to seal it all up. Lot of extra work but it may well be worth it. I have never shipped a gun with the USPS, but this might be the time I do.

I have always used UPS, but that is when a Dealer or an indiviudual paid for the shipping and insurance, it has never been me, per say.

I normally always ship next day air too, as I figure (might be wrong) that the quicker it gets there, the less chance it has to get damaged, i.e. sitting in a warehouse, with more hands handling it, etc. This thought maybe flawed. To do that with this gun and insurance it will cost me around $290.00 ONE way, which of course means $580.00 just in shipping and insurance. I think this is crazy and thus I won't be going this route.

The Registered Mail route will for sure take longer, perhaps around a week to get to the Gun Smith. Was just curious if anyone had thoughts on these shipping methods, pros...cons...?

Have to make up my mind soon...Leaning very strongly with the US Postal Service and their Registered Mail.

Jason H #53145 08/21/07 09:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jason:

I use and have received longarms sent by Priority Mail, or is it Express Mail, anyway, I haven't experienced any problems. I believe you might be better off to define it as parts than as an assembled longarm. Then again there are 3 sides to every coin.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr #53153 08/21/07 10:02 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Jason,

I have never had a gun damaged with registered mail. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about UPS. I personally like the way registered mail packages have to be signed for as they move from one post office to the next. Accountability seems to make people more careful.

Ken

Last edited by grousehunter; 08/21/07 10:05 PM.
grousehunter #53162 08/21/07 10:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I ship via USPS Registered mail, frequently using a previously used box, sometimes with writing on it, sealed with clear tape and have never had the post office turn it down. Not only is it much cheaper with less hassle than UPS, it is much faster. UPS is 7-10 days to the West Coast from PA. Registered mail 3-4.

Rick Beckner #53163 08/21/07 10:38 PM
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

clear tape? My post office only allows the brown paper type tape.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #53168 08/21/07 10:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shipped dozens of guns priorty mail all over the country, never had a problem or damage. Just shipped one to maine last Tues., arrived on Friday , 2000.00 insurance.=32.00 total. Regestered has to have brown paper tape so it can be stamped on every inch of every seam. Rich

Last edited by Rd Show; 08/21/07 10:50 PM.

Jason H #53171 08/21/07 11:04 PM
Jason H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great to hear all the different opinions. My Post office stated very clearly that if the box had any writing, stampings, or stickers/labels on it from prior use, they would not allow it in their system. Box must be clean of all the above items. Only tape allowed on the box is the brown paper type tape, which will allow the ink from their stamps to soak in. If there is any clear tape on the exterior of the box, it can't be used.

Solution to a previoulsy used,taped up, written on, box is to wrap the entire box up like a Christmas present in brown construction paper and use the brown paper tape to seal up the edges. This would then be acceptable to them.

Due to the cost savings, and it seems the better care given due to the accountability of each person handling a piece of registered mail, I believe this will be the method I choose until I can find a better way.

I am just somewhat uneasy as I have seen many times while waiting in line at the local Post office where the clerk will take a package or envelope just given to them to mail and actually toss it 5 or so feet into a bin. I have seen them throw small boxes this same distance, WITHIN sight of the person whom just paid to have that item mailed! I guess one just has to have some faith and more importantly, make sure the item is packaged very well to prevent damage from such "throws".

Jason H #53176 08/22/07 12:18 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use nothing but registered mail for anything I care about plus like you said the insurance is much cheaper. I have the brown wrap and the tape, does not take that long and when it's gone I don't have to worry.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Michael Petrov #53186 08/22/07 06:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As others have said USPS registered although slower, will arrive intack as every person who touchs it has to sign for it.Also they will stand behind that insurance unlike UPS and evidently for what some others have posted FedEx.
A couple of points thou,first do tell them what it is,shipping a long gun is not a problem even for an unlicensed person,if insurance or anything else comes up and your not upfront and tell them its a shotgun when you ship it or there could be problems later.
the second one is that kraft paper,I many years ago did that with UPS (before I knew better) and they told me they would not accept it as the machines would rip it off the box.perhaps turning the box inside out or making another one?I would hate to have all that info ripped off the box and it sit somewhere till they figure out where it goes.My PO has that tape and was not upset with some clear on the box as long as they could get all the seems and corners with theirs,they even wraped it for me.

Last edited by Dave K; 08/22/07 07:00 AM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Dave K #53203 08/22/07 08:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jason,
Regardless of shipping agent, pack all contents for rough handling. Packages are routinely thown and dropped considerable distances. Packing is cheap insurance, leave nothing to chance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.