September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NCTarheel, SKB), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,907
Posts550,636
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You may laugh, but I'm looking at acquiring a Martini Cadet that has been rechambered to .32-40 (not a typo and I don't mean .32-20). It's not a double gun, but it could fall into the category of other fine gun and there's a lot of knowledge here.

I'd like to find some data for a light cast bullet load, preferably something in the 120-135 grain category. I'm concerned that the heavier bullets won't stabilize in the Cadet barrel without pushing them so hard that I either create a much heavier recoil than is preferable for accurate shooting in such a light rifle. This is going to be a plinker, not a hunting rifle (well, maybe a turkey or a chuck, if I can find a place and the time), so comfort is far more important than maximizing the energy of the cartridge.

Anyone have experience with such a critter or a source for load data?

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you might benefit from checking with ASSRA folks. They have a lot of experience with the cartridge. Some still use it in competition.
http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Hodgon has some data, but not for a bullet that light:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

This is the loading that Steves Pages show:
http://www.stevespages.com/321_2_170.html

I think you would be better off dropping down your charge weight rather than bullet weight. Some people report having problems casting even the heavier 32 bullets. If you are going to use smokeless, look for a slower burning powder.

I have spoken to Hodgon tech support about a similar situation, the 44-40. They saw no problem with loading only 15 grains of Pyrodex instead of the normal 40 grains. None of their data suggested a potential pressure issue with doing that.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot and reloaded for the 32-40 quite a lot and I think
4227 is your best powder starting about 10-11 gr.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no idea what a Marlin Cadet rifle may be (lever maybe?), and I have never loaded the 32/40; but years ago I took a perfectly fine Marlin 336A and replaced the barrel with an original NOS 24" Marlin Model 93 (?) barrel chambered for 32/40. Afterwards, the gun sat un-fired in my safe for nearly 20 years until I dragged her out about 2 months ago and completed my "renovations". I shot the gun at the "range" last week and was amazed at how well this little gun performed with a stiff factory trigger and cheap Bushnell scope. My improvised range was an abandonded rock quarry, my improvised shooting bench was leaning across a large chunk of granite; and the range finder said 137 yards across the pit to my 9" paper plate target with orange target dot. I didn't expect to shoot 1/2" groups, and didn't (don't think I'm capable); but the little gun grouped under 2" at that range, more than adequate for a proper kill shot on Whitetail deer. The loads used were factory new John Wayne commeratives with their snazzy nickel plated cases topped off with 165 grain flat nose copper jacketed bullets. This gun, recoil wise, was not the least bit uncomfortable to shoot. I was so impressed my "findings" that I intend to see what this little Marlin will do on Whitetail this season; good luck with your project and have fun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete:

I had not thought of ASSRA. Thanks for the suggestion. The reason for the drop in bullet weight is the twist - the rifle has the original .310 Cadet barrel, rechambered, and the twist is not likely to stabilize a 165 grain bullet at low speed (or perhaps even at high speed).

Topgun:

The gun is a Martini, not a Marlin. Think British military rifle of the last century (ever seen the movie "Zulu"?). These were minature versions of the military rifle used for training, primarily in Australia. The action is the same size as the BSA Model 7, 12, 12/15 and 15 series, although it's a centerfire, not a rimfire action.

The .32-40 has an excellent reputation as a target round, so I'm not surprised that you found it shot well in the Marlin. Marlin lever actions are surprisingly accurate with the right ammo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never could read very well!

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a cadet forum on this website. British Militaria Very good bunch there. I didn't see anything by searching but I'm sure someone will step up if you ask

Last edited by NTaxiarchis; 10/18/07 04:21 PM.

Remington40x:
I have owned such a rifle for many years, and use it with the the little 8mm Nambu pistol bullet for plinking (either 95 or 102 grains, my memory fails me, haven't loaded it for a while since my youngest left home!). The Nambu bullet is made by Taipan in Australia. For more serious stuff, I use 150gr 8mm rifle bullets reduced a few thou by pushing them through a die, and drive them fast, the Cadet action can take it! I don't have access to my notebooks at the moment, but they are all Aussie ADI powders, mainly AR2206 I think.

You are quite right about the twist rate of course, my rifle shoots .32-40 factory-equivalent loads (165gr bullet) quite well at 50 metres, but is starting to key-hole by 100 metres with attendant loss of accuracy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to recall from years ago when folks were importing all kinds of surplus guns & converting them all for US cartridges that many of the .310 bbls were too much over size for the .32-20 bullet dia. Many were I believe converted to .32 WS. As I understand it the only problems with this conversion were bbl thread dia & twist rate. Cast bullet loads in the .32-40 should be great up to whatever length the twist will stablize. Would of course check actual bore dimensions to see what sizing may be necessary for a bore fit.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may want to with play with this on-line twist rate calculator. Can vouch for it's accuracy. Am I sure there are others around.
http://kwk.us/twist.html

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.