September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (FelixD, battle, 1 invisible), 204 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,907
Posts550,629
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Now that we have double rifles added to this forum, I'd better make a contribution! Tossed this up on NitroExpress.com the other day, hope you gentlemen enjoy it here too.

I recently took delivery of a Rodda 'crystal indicator' sidelock made by W.C.Scott & Son, chambered for the .577/.500 No.2 cartridge and marked on the flats "CO EX" for the cordite express 'nitro-for-black' load. I had a couple of weeks to check it over, see if it would shoot, and make an offer. Great fun!

The rifle apparently came to Australia out of Sumatra about 25 yrs ago, having been confiscated by the game department from persons unknown. Unfortunately it has had a hard life, with every screw-slot buggered, a few problems in the head of the old Indian re-stock, and a poorly-made replacement top-lever spring. It was slightly off the face, despite a village black-smith's attempts to tighten it (!), and the Henry-rifled bores were no longer bright. It would have been a marvellous gun in its day: nevertheless a good restoration project if the price was right, and if it shoots!

I hunted down a dozen Bertram cases and a box of 440gr Woodleighs, and started at 65gr AR2208 (Varget), working up to 75 grains in 2-grain increments. I was looking for regulation somewhere between 1650 and 1700 fps within that charge-range, hopefully with tight barrel groups, and (please!) no vertical dispersion between the barrel-groups!

Well, the initial results were very encouraging, to say the least! The loads started-off around 1500 fps or so with 65gr, and about 2 1/2 inches apart, but high. Gradually came down the target as the load increased, and the last two pairs (73 and 75 grains) were about an inch apart, heading back up the target again. Velocity at the highest loading was 1700 fps for the left barrel, and I missed the right barrel velocity on the chrono but it was probably around 1650-1670 going by the velocity difference at the lower loadings. Unfortunately, as a result of this, the right barrel bullet-strike was slightly above the left, but within an inch or so at 50 metres so I can live with that.

Next I loaded up the whole lot again at 74 grains AR2208 (Varget) to shoot seriously for accuracy, after a bit of mucking about with dies etc. Softened an old RCBS .308 die and bored it out on the lathe to 0.527 for neck-sizing my dozen cases. This die produces enough neck tension to hold the bullet, but not so much as to make seating without a proper seating-die difficult. Consequently, the velocities for the 74gr loads I settled on had dropped back to around 1600 fps. I probably need to make a crimp-die next!

The resulting groups were nonetheless astounding! First two shots overlapped at 50 metres. Slight sight adjustment, and second 2 shots were touching! My two witnesses couldn't believe their eyes, and had to have a couple of shots each themselves to verify. I had trouble getting the rifle back off them!

At that point I had pretty much decided that I need this gun, so its now a done deal and the Rodda is a permanent resident of my gun-safe! A lot of restoration will be required to bring the old girl up to speed, but at least she shoots!

There was a slight crossing evident with the 2nd lot of loads, however I'm certain it will disappear with crimping. If not, I'll just have to make another neck-sizing die with slightly greater neck tension. ...after I tighten the gun and make 7 new screws! Plenty of 'occupational therapy' ahead!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marrakai, I have just bought a Rhodda 12bore double rifle hammergun. Still waiting on the import permits so she is still in England. Supposed to be in poor shape, but for $150 I thought I'd take the chance that it could be restored. Nice gun you have there and like you said she does shoot. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony,
You are a lucky man to have aquired such a "project" and to now have the priveledge of restoring her to her former grandeur. Of course, it helps that she also shoots. Good on ya'! My .450 #2 project is well along. Recently found 6o Bell brass. Will post photos when she's complete and hopefully target photos that are anywhere near as spectacular as your Rodda's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

About a year ago Ivory Beads had a Rodda sixteen bore double rifle cased with ivory handled tools and accessories.
Really pretty gun. Back actions and hammers...
What a honey.

I'm happy for you Marrakai.
Nice to see that gun shoots.

Mike, if you find that the twelve bore is too much of a mess for you to want to deal with, please please consider me as a buyer.
I'm working on the C&H, the barrels I'd ordered for it seem to be some vaporous eternal backorder deal. I found a barrel maker here in the states who will do whatever I want on thier sine bore cut rifling machine for three hundred bucks a tube in chromoly.
I think I'm going with them when it comes time to order tubes for the C&H.
At this point I need to figure out just what size of roundball I want to be tossing around with it.
My sense at this point is leaning in the thirteen to fourteen bore nieghborhood and ten drams of powder. That'd make it carryable and shootable.
Marrakai had said something to the nature that if he'd gotten the action he'd be going eight bore.

If I'd go that route it'd be a roundball gun on the small end if the roundball size range and low-for-bore powder charges. Full house eight bore conical loads would just be so freaking brutal, and my sense is that this SxS wasn't made with that kind of whack in the plans.

I'm just a little bit envious of those Roddas boys. I might just have to take my Tolley out for a blast at the ranch this weekend...

--Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tinker, I'll keep you in mind on the 12 bore. Can you send me the name and contact info on the folks that have the rifling machine? That kind of info is always handy to have. I have just located a German,(unknown maker as of yet), double rifle in 9.3x74R with extra 20ga barrels. Trying to contact the gentleman about it, but no luck so far. Thanks Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.