September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (JulesW, ArtLavely, Argo44, 12boreman, 1 invisible), 472 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#86143 03/04/08 09:07 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm looking around at blanks and have run into a few that have good layout, good grain flow, look nice to my eye--but have very open pores. Other than being a PITA to fill the grain when finishing, is there a reason to shy away from this wood? If so, any info is appreciated.
thanks,
Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a consumer of cheap blanks; open pored wood will generally end up MUCH darker after finishing than tight grained wood - analgous to end grain (you can test by wetting with alcohol), and (possibly - maybe just my bad luck) have a bigger chance of finding punky areas in the blank.

A non-punky straight grained open-pored blank will have the advantage of being lighter per cu. in. than a tight grained one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found open pored blanks to be slightly less strong than closed pore blanks as a rule. They do tend to be lighter as mentioned. But to judge you have to see each blank in person. If your open pore blank can be dented by your thumb nail be very cautious. What I look for is dense wood with either quarter sawed or in some case flat sawed layout.

If the stock is too heavy when shaped you can always bore holes in the rear to make it lighter and to balance the gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, this would go an a fairly light gun and I have a 16" LOP...so light weight wood is good from my perspective or it's very difficult to balance. Color is ok to my eye--they're dark but I like that--shown below is one of the blanks soaked in alcohol. I think these are claro...not 100% sure though--but others have said that with the marbling and the open pores it's sure to be claro--but you guys probably know better than I, here's one I would consider:

If I take my thumnail to them they are definitely softer than the other blanks I've worked on--but those were very dense blanks. I can make a mark with my thumbnail on these. Strength is my main concern I think, but I have very little experience with how this wood is "supposed" to feel...thoughts?? Should I run, or is it "not ideal but it'll certainly work"??

Last edited by David Furman; 03/04/08 08:46 PM.

That's a pretty piece of wood, but I think it would depend on what you planned to use it for. A non-checkered thru-bolt stock on a pump,...........sure. A really dainty, thin gripped double with fine checkering,............probably not. If it's that soft it's not going to stand up well to the checkering tool or fine inletting with sharp edges. It's going to get rounded and bruised very quickly. Whether or not an epoxy coating will help I do not know. Never tried it.

If the porosity were at the other end of the blank, I'd be less concerned with it, but it's the softness of the blank that troubles me. That's what Claro is known for, although there are good, hard blanks of Claro. Judging from your description this doesn't appear to be one. I've got aged English blanks on the rack that are so hard and sharp you have to be careful not to cut yourself while handling them.

Last edited by kaveman; 03/05/08 06:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just out of curiosity, why not "harden" this piece of wood with any of the specialized hardner/stabilizers that are available today?

I really love that color.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Just out of curiosity, why not "harden" this piece of wood with any of the specialized hardner/stabilizers that are available today?

I didn't know there was such an animal?? Any examples?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup:
I've used this one:
http://www1.epinions.com/content_171240230532

Beware of fumes - very very nasty, but short lived.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The reason softer, more open pored blanks are not a favorite, is they do not stand up to the knife very well. According to what I have read, that is the reason english is so prized. I have done stocks with some softer black walnut, it is a chore doing the inletting/checkering.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:

I'ved used it in architectural work, but that was always painted afterwards. What would be the process/sequence on wood that needs an oil finish? Does it interfere with color etc. I might consider it as a checkering hardener(post checkering) instead of the Super Glue method which has a strange gloss to it. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.