September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, 12boreman, Der Ami), 455 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

shot at 50 yards....hawk bullets, pure lead cores and dead soft copper jackets. Just dug up the vintage load info....sure is a great a rifle.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great looking rifle.
Great looking group.

Are your sights marked?
Do you have a chronograph?

I've seen quite different regulation velocities between blackpowder and nitro for black loads.
The substantial difference of ejecta mass definitely makes a difference at the chronograph.
Wright's extensive pressure testing at birmingham shows consistently lower pressures with modern NFB loads and at times heavier bullets than the 'old time' black powder loads did.

Still, it is very rewarding to get such a sweet old small bore double rifle shooting so well burning coal!

--Tinker

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I adore the old girl...it will be my quest this fall to take a nice mature whitetail with her....she deserves a little blood after all the years sitting locked away. The sight are 1 standing marked 100, and 2 folding marked 150 and 200. I have a chrono....just havent used it on this gun. I really just fell into the load....it worked the very first time I tried it.....I stopped right there.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good stuff Steve-

I'm sure your whitetail will fall to one of those Hawks!

We'll have to keep an eye on you this fall, I expect a good report.

--Tinker

SKB,

Looks like you have it well tuned for that whitetail.

I found this data shot with a 40-90. Its a pretty close comparison:

Goex express Fg no compression
Lo 1371
hi 1403
Av 1384
Es 32
Sd 11.7

Goex express with .218 compression
Lo 1397
Hi 1426
Av 1409
Es 29
Sd 11.3

Swiss Fg no compression
Lo 1369
Hi 1383
Av 1374
Es 14
Sd 5.4

Swiss with .180 compression
Lo 1383
Hi 1395
Av 1391
Es 12
Sd 4.7

Note the ES & SD numbers.
The SD on the Swiss is consistently in the single digits were as the Express is double digit while the ES is considerably higher across both loads for Express. Playing around with a few variables my lower those numbers.

Tinker,

One item that is very diffrent between then and now are primers. As the BPCR folks will tell you primers can make a significant diffrence when working up a load.

This all has to do with how BP and Nitro based powders are ignited. BP is best ignited by flame or heating particles to incandescence were as nitrocelulous based powders are best ignited by heated gasses.

Just a side note:
Remember - never use the word DETONATE when refering to BP or smokeless propellants. DEFLAGRATION is the proper term. Its when the grains are ignited on the surface and burn towards the center.

Detonation, on the otherhand, is when a pressure wave travels through the material at or near the speed of sound. The wave then triggers the chemical reactions within the explosive.

Any composition that detonates is bad, bad, bad.

Now back to primers:

So with the variation of ignition between BP and nitro based powders its a no brainer that they require diffrent primer criteria.

Here is a small comparison between mercury fulminate used in BP primers old to lead azide primers as used today:

Temperature of combustion.
4105 degrees C, Mercury fulminate
3180 degrees C, Lead azide

Calories of heat evolved (unit of weight?)
420, Mercury fulminate
684, Lead azide.

In addition the duration of the flame with mercury fulminate could be extended by certain additions to the compound and that is what BP likes a nice hot flame of long duration. Sort of like running your finger through a candle. Do it fast and it won't hurt. Do it slow and ouch!

One other factor was the popularity of Berdan primers. V. the Boxer primers we use today. The Berdan design may have acted to diffuse the flame and cause ignition on a much broader surface rather than a narrow deep penatration of the charge. Today some BPCR shooters use primer wads that work to achieve the same result.

Now lets look at Curtis & Harvey:
By the end of the 19th century 1800's the best English-made sporting powders were urtis & Harvey and Chilworth Gunpowder.

However, with the advent of smokeless powders By the end of the 1890's the demand for fast burning sporting powders had just about ceased in the U.S.

No U.S. based powder company ever produced moist-burning powder to match Curtis & Harvey and many of the German powders. From the 1870's through the 1880's it was common for commercial cartridge companies to load the fast sporting powders in thier pistol caliber cartridges. By around 1890 the commercial cartridge loading companies switched from using the more expensive sporting powders in their pistol cartridges and switched to rifle burn rate powders. To compensate for the slower burn rate they simply went to the next lower grain size in the rifle powder.

Curtis & Harvey continued to produce a sporting burn rate powder up until about 1970. Around 1970 they could no longer purchase buckthorn alder wood from suppliers in Spain. That forced them to change to commercial charcoal and powder quality suffered greatly.

This slow powder was prepared with the commercial charcoal that was greatly inferior to the glossy buckthorn alder charcoal that C&H had charred and prepared "in-house". Its also the stuff compared with Dupont back in the 1974 in the Lyman black powder book and was actually slower. However, if you can find a pre-1970 can it will be good powder.

Best regards,

Terry

Last edited by THARPER; 07/15/08 10:51 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.