June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
10 members (DaveB, journeymen, CJF, grouse28, azgreg, 2 invisible), 321 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,631
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8929 11/06/06 10:44 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

My local shop has one in reasonably good shape considering it's age. I can't explain it but for some reason I keep going back to it. Probably because it's the only one I've ever seen. The damascas barrels are putting me off. Could it be shot safely with light smokeless loads or should I stick to black powder? I haven't measured the chambers yet. I need to recheck the bores as well. I looked at several guns that day and can't exactly remember condition.

doubleguy #8939 11/06/06 11:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a friend I hunt with, he occasionally shoots his crass, he buys the 2 1/2 low pressure shells, and it works fine. He did have the stock redone to fit him, because those old guns have a ton of drop....

doubleguy #8941 11/06/06 11:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a very beautiful graded Ithaca Crass on Gunbroker at this time. Has the added attraction of being valuable enuf not to present the shooting temptation. However, back to your question, "smokeless" is just that but "light" can mean several things. 7/8oz zipping up the pipe ahead of gas pressurized at 9000psi wouldn't be "light" enuf. There was a commercial loading with peak pressure listed at 5000psi mentioned on this board last week and reloaders have access to published loads with pressure below 5k. Just as there is an argument that damascus should be shot solely with bp because customarily used in the heyday of these guns, there is also a contemporary argument that only pressure matters and that the nature of the propellant/explosive which generates it is irrelevent. I have shot damascus guns with smokeless loads but not with bp which I suppose suggests that some of us weren't present at the creation of a hidebound tradition. Whatever the pros and cons of smokeless vs. black, the barrels are a more or less closed and pressurized vessel until the charge leaves the muzzle. As with any pressurized vessel, condition (wall thickness, local or general oxidation, and mods such as misguided chamber lengthening) is everything so you'd want to know the condition of barrels before buying with the intent to use. Black powder does not have the talismanic power to prevent guns from blowing up.

jack

rabbit #8946 11/06/06 11:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

hello Doubleguy-Welcome to the Board.

I heartily second Brother Jack. Your Crass was intended to shoot the then-standard American 12g load at about 9000-9800 psi or so. It doesnt now, nor did it back then, matter how you generate the pressure, either black or smokeless will work just fine, as long as the gun is sound, and you stay in appropriate service pressure ranges.

Some people feel like the super-low pressure 5000 psi loads are the way to go, but these sometimes do not light correctly under low temperatures. I would suggest that you use loads that are in the 8000 psi or so range, and be very careful about using heavyweight shot loads unless you confirm the stock is sound, not oil soaked, and capable of withstanding the pounding. It is likely best to pass on shot payloads of more than 1-1/16 of an oz.

Enjoy your Ithaca.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
doubleguy #10298 11/15/06 07:20 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Have made the purchase yet. Went back for another look. I believe it's a 2E. It's a bit loose with the forarm off but not with the forearm on. Break open lever still at center. 32" barrels. No rust externally on barrels and still showing good damascus color. Original but plate. I'm still a bit apprehensive.
Several more examinations will be necessary. Advice?

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.