I'm 55, 6'2", 180 lbs., and can't see much weight overage to shed from these aging bones. Mostly I hunt pheasants with a 6 -3/4 lb. SxS and don't find my arms weary after a long day of following my springers. My legs do get tired, especially when breaking through several inches of crusted-over snow that's not quite solid enough to support my weight. That kind of work makes me take off layers of clothes in some very cold late season weather, and makes me stop the dogs more often than they like.

For typically fleeting chances at ruffed grouse, I always choose a much lighter gun - usually a 28 ga. Parker Repro. The 26" barrels were a little muzzle light until I stuck on a few ounces of lead tape, which brought the weight to a whopping 5-3/4 lbs. The gun is now better balanced and still fast handling. Whether swinging on a crosser or snap shooting a straightaway, the shot usually has to be fast. Light loads in a light gun in the grouse woods, heavier loads in a heavier gun in the more open pheasant fields ... horses for courses.

Strong, critical opinions should perhaps be based on more than generalizations about others' skills and circumstances based on chance observations and speculation. I don't think the responses to CB have much to do with "mostly light gun enthisaists here" yesterday, or today.

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 07/05/08 05:14 PM.