June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (skeettx, Argo44), 205 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,540
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
OP Offline

yes, americans do build the best rifles. Here is a gripcap on a fisher stocked Sako.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to jump in here.....Glenthorne,Your an Idiot! Do you even know who Jerry Fisher is? ...Trevallion..cc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Give the guy alittle credit CC....He knows who Kimber and Bushnell is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"T" - its things like that, that makes me buy the most original gun/rifle I can buy, so they never see you, or your bench.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a loss ! How is it that you hold people like Jerry Fisher in such low regard ? I have never met the man but he is famous for the high level of stockwork he does --- I as many others , hold him in high regard. Remember, it was a stockmaker (of lower skill) that made the stocks on the guns you value. If Mr. Fisher or Dave had made your stocks when the guns were made, would you still feel the same ? Is it the fact that he is well paid & backed up with work that bothers you ? Please explain why you have such low regard for these men.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Truth is the rifles he holds in high esteem were all influenced by people like Mr. Fisher.

I've been scratching my head trying to remember if I ever held one of Mr.Fishers guns back in the 1970's and 80's when I used to make my monthly trips to Dunns fine gun room in Grand Junction Tennessee. I was like a kid in a candy store with no money.
There was a rifle by Dale Goen that I don't even want to think about...I remember it was $3,500 more than I had.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hold no one in low regard, just the comments of Mr."T's".
A handsome rifle yes, not their grandmother's broach like shown.
You need to pop on RimfireCentral and see the better Coopers and Kimbers.
...and "lower skill" my eye!

OP Offline

Another Fisher I photod, a 300 mag

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree 100% with you Barry- and you just echoed what Paul Curtis said in 1934 "Guns and Gunning"- later Jack O'Connor in 1949 "The Rifle Book"- although I think it is fair to say that had not Peter Paul Mauser "paved the way" for the bolt action rifles back prior to 1900 era-perhaps that might be different. Jerry Fischer is to the Art of Gunmaking what Itzak Pearlman or Van Cliburn are to classical music, Van Gogh and Monet to art-etc- "Top of the Top Shelf" and the fact that he is a unselfish outgoing gentleman and an avid hunter/sportsman is just the bonus. I would love to own one of his "Steinways"-but as this is a doublegun forum, I would also love to own the Robert Owen mfg. British sidelock 12 bore pictured in the Curtis book on page 147.
Fine gun work is fine work, no matter where or when it was created. In an era of "mass produced weaponry" artisans like Mr. Fischer help to keep the dream alive- when I use one of my older M70's or my Sako(pre-Garcia FN action Forrester, custom stocked by Mews, in .243 Win.) I appreciate even more what quality I hold in my hands. Old gentleman, also a M70 man, once told me- you get a Sako BA rifle, you'll never let it get away-of all my accurate rifles, that Sako is a MOA weapon with Hornady ammo-and as all my rifles do, it wears a Leupold. I have sent them 2 Vari-Power scopes and 1 fixed power scope over past 4 years- repaired or in one case, replaced with a new "upgraded" AO varmint scope-now on the Sako- Do they make the best scopes in the free world? I can't say- never used a Zeiss, Schmidt und Bender, Dockter, so I am not qualified- have used Redfield and Leatherwood ART on military BA rifles (.308) but I'll stay with Leupold-RWTF!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/21/08 04:36 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run, in my opinion, it was a Paul Curtis owned Owen shotgun that was offered at auction within the last year. Unfortunately, the auction house and the consignor were apparently unaware of its very interesting provenance. No, I did not purchase the gun. Bill Murphy

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.