June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (SamW, Jimmy W, Researcher, KDGJ, Perry M. Kissam, 1 invisible), 285 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,535
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the pleasure of sitting with Jerry Fisher at a NRA banquet about 11 years ago. After shaking hands with him I made a mental note not to wash my hands for at least two weeks, just in case some of that talent rubbed off. A true gentleman, I feel very privileged. Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Being a floundering gun tinkerer, I find the work of the true artisan gunsmiths just amazing. Anyone that has tried to do any of this type of work only appreciates the great work more.

Barry, great pics. You'll have to share some of your still-life pic skills with us sometime.

Chuck H #103674 07/21/08 11:00 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow. What fantastic work and incredible pictures! When will Mr. Hands publish a book of his work and his pictures of the ACGG artisans?

Dave
Sidelock
Sidelock

In every occupation, we stand on the shoulders of others that went before us. Some of those individuals great ideas have become common place to those who came behind. For myself, I have benefitted from those who came before. Jerry Fisher, Duane Wiebe, Leonard Brownell, Dale Goen, Monty Kennedy, Darwin Hensley, David Travallion, Alvin Linden, G & H, Winchester. L.C. Smith, A.H. Fox......you get the picture. None of the current firearms we shoot would be possible without men and women of talent and imagination...and not any of them less important than the other. Those who have become well known are no less important than those who have not. Each gave/gives hours of hard work to accomplish a goal set before them. Whether in a factory or a single work bench.

In 1981 Kimber Industries/ Kimber of Oregon needed unskilled labor to produce gunstocks. I qualified for the unskilled part. I now am proud to associate myself with the members of the ACGG as a stockmaker. Their common goal is to encourage the production of excellence in form and function. Each member is known for their desire to encourage others to excell and make sure the eye candy doesn't become a think of the past. As in all things...people are people...you may not get along with a particular individual. That doesn't lessen the level of craftsmanship learned or displayed.

Dan Cooper went another way. He too is a Kimberite. Five former co-workers went with him to form a company that is known for excellence in their product. They too have people that are unknown working behind the scenes. They work hard just like the rest of us. Kimber of America still calls on former Kimberite people and others to improve their product and bottom line. They too have people known only to their co-workers.

If it were not for the encouragement of Darwin Hensley and others in the ACGG I would not have focused on becoming better at my craft. I could have found another occupation to feed my family. Each member of the ACGG has been helpful and giving of their time and information. (Try getting that from the Old World without blood, sweat, and tears.) David Travallion and Jack Rowe are the exceptions to that rule.

Back to the original idea...we stand on shoulders...Kimber used Leonard Brownell, Duane Wiebe, Darwin Hensley, Jack O'Conner, and many others to guide the development of Kimber quality. They learned from others and were in turn originators of ideas not seen before or improvements on other ideas. Men and women like them have raised the bar of what is considered "Custom" today. Others now have taken up the challenge of excellence. It may not be your idea of what you like. If not, find someone who will make for you what you need and support them. Without your support the industry dies!

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
DES/TSD #103718 07/21/08 02:16 PM
OP Offline

Thanks guys, Chuck, my ole bottle o' red buddy, and Dennis, I really appreciate the kind words about Jerry's work.
The pics I take currently with a fuji finepix 700, an inexpensive, but good cam. On most of these pics, I am using flourescents stood on end on each side with a black cloth behind. The Rifle is muzzle down on a steel rod in the muzzle, stuck in a block of wood, I have different rods for different calibres, and the block and rods were made by Fisher!
I photograph quite a few guns for Fisher, trevallion clients and Helgeland amongst others.
Sometimes I send out my own work to others to photo, as a third party can have a different view. I recently had some great pics done by Steve Hughes.

here is another pic of the 300 mag

Last edited by Barry Lee Hands; 07/21/08 02:19 PM.

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know I'm going to catch some flack...but that scope and rings are an abomination setting atop that gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JoE hit the mental IgNoRe BuTtOn my friend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of pix of a Fisher .220 Swift on a FN single shot action with bottom metal (such as it is) bench made by Jerry. A very cool rifle made about 10+- years ago, no engraving. For those that are in tune wih bolt rifles, this one help inspire Fishr to create his proprietary round body bottom metal for Mauser & M-70, the MacNaughton, Dickson of bolt rifles. (Also note that grip cap that Barry so nicely embellishd is a proprietary Fisher item.)

Also a recent pic of one of Barry's, you may see a similar version on a magazine cover in the future. (Steve Heilmann sideplated Ruger #1 in .35 Whelen.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Barry Lee Hands
Thanks guys, Chuck, my ole bottle o' red buddy, and Dennis, I really appreciate the kind words about Jerry's work.
The pics I take currently with a fuji finepix 700, an inexpensive, but good cam. On most of these pics, I am using flourescents stood on end on each side with a black cloth behind. The Rifle is muzzle down on a steel rod in the muzzle, stuck in a block of wood, I have different rods for different calibres, and the block and rods were made by Fisher!
I photograph quite a few guns for Fisher, trevallion clients and Helgeland amongst others.
Sometimes I send out my own work to others to photo, as a third party can have a different view. I recently had some great pics done by Steve Hughes.

here is another pic of the 300 mag

Barry,
Proof that it ain't the stick, but who's swingin' it. Amazing pics can be made from the inexpensive equipment available today. Lighting, composition, technique, and subject matter, was, is and always will be what photography is all about.

Last edited by Chuck H; 07/21/08 04:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Barry Lee Hands
I recently had some great pics done by Steve Hughes.

Ahh, the Montana gun cartel, eah?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.