Originally Posted By: Dave K
jack, you have to get out of the city and see how people live in the country.

Dave, I have lived where your New Hampshire "country" would be considered vastly overcrowded. Crime still happens.

Some of the worst happen to people who imagine they're safe because they "live in the country." This spring a nice farm family - man, wife and child - down in rural southern Minnesota was slaughtered by a mindless killer, for no apparent reason. The family massacred by two wanderers (featured in Truman Capote's non-fiction classic In Cold Blood) were nice country people in rural Kansas. Charles Manson's victims were located on three acres at the end of a cul-de-sac in Benedict Canyon in the Santa Monica Mountains.

No one here is choosing to live in fear. But bad things can happen to good people, and a little forethought and sensible action might prevent some of it. That's what we're talking about here. The classic phrase, 'It vis pacem para bellum', applies just as well to civilian life in these troubled times.

I sincerely hope that folks here who dismiss armed home defense as "paranoia" or believe "it can't happen here" never have an unexpected encounter with a bad guy. Those of us who have, know better.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com