I used to keep an 870 pump with #5 shot handloads, a Colt .357 with 148 gr. hollow base wadcutters loaded backwards (which expand like a bomb, think giant hollow point) and an Albanian SKS with Wolf hollow points in a 30 rd. mag. I switched away from the handloads because I have heard that it is very possible that the survivors of the scumbag you shoot in your house can sue you for manufacturing so called extra-lethal ammo. Even though it may not be more lethal as in the case of the black powder loads mentioned here, you may bear the legal cost of proving that, assuming you win. You don't have to clean blood and guts off your walls and floors... that's what homeowners insurance is for. Keep shooting till the gun won't go bang anymore and take your time calling 911. You don't want any wounded criminal sitting in prison for a few years thinking about revenge when he gets out. Personally I would feel worse about killing a groundhog in my garden.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.