Jack's points about relative risk are good. I don't believe one can tell another how to value his/her life. If someone concludes they are more afraid of themself than an armed intruder that's their business. Such a one ought not insist I feel likewise.

I'm with Mike on the value of dogs; they mitigate against surprise. It does little good to have a tricked out, night-visioned, suppressed short rifle in the bedroom if you're watching a movie in the den when an intruder gets between you and the gun. If surprised you've got at least one strike on you. This brings us to handguns that, if not definitive, are more likely to be with you.

My Seecamp is with me just about all the time - I feel naked without it. It lacks horsepower, and I realize that it's greatest value may be in helping me to get to something definitive. A S&W 640 has also worked well for me. I tried carrying a 1911 around all time, but it's just too bulky to be concealed on my frame through all seasons without a fair amount of consideration and compromise.

Sam