Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
I appreciate everyone's comments. Those in support of my position appear to be in the majority, thank you. Since HJ is at the top of my YAITU list, I have no idea what he said, and couldn't care less.

A few replies gave no clue as to what their opinion was.

I have bought and sold a lot of guns in the last several years. I have never returned one though some were better than described and others were not as good. I have accepted return of two guns in the past. Both smelled strongly to me that the buyer found a better deal while the package was in transit. Both were described honestly, as was this one . John and I had several phone conversations where we discussed every detail of the gun including why I was selling it.

The sale was made OFF the Gunbroker board and I gave him a very good price that included shipping and insurance. While we did not pick apart my offer of a 3-day inspection down to legal terms, it was my intention that it meant the gun would be as described, no hidden flaws or surprises. It was.

I knew John didn't like 26" barrels because we discussed that at length(no pun intended), on the phone. But he bought the gun anyway, knowing very well what the barrel length was. My refusal to accept a return for the stated reason that he "couldn't live with the 26" barrels" is justified, IMO. I can live with it.

My feedback rating on Gunbroker was not achieved by lying and/or cheating people. I'm sorry John is not happy but I will not change my mind on the subject.

This will be my last reply on this topic(I hope)

Thanks to all

I've quoted my last reply because some of the recent posters apparently did not even read it.

Here's some further information: The first contact I had with John (22eley) was an e-mail he sent to me while the gun was in an active auction. In it he told me how he could buy these guns for $500-700 in his part of the country. This was sent in the area where you "ask the seller a question". I politely suggested he should buy one of the $500 guns. I added that I would like buy a dozen Grade II guns like mine, at $700 each. I should have figured him for a flake and steered clear of him. Even though he preferred longer barrels, he was so enthusiastic about this one, knowing full well it was 26" that he even called Mike Orlen to discuss having choke tubes installed in it. We had several more phone conversations and finally agreed on a price. At this time there were no bids on my Gunbroker ad and I pulled it. In my last e-mail to him I included the phrase about 3 day inspection, never dreaming he would want to return it as the gun was like new and he knew every detail about it. If I ever sell another gun on the Internet, you can be sure my return policy will be thoroughly and clearly stated. I don't know what his real reason for wanting to return it but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with the well-known 26" barrels. When he called me after receiving the gun to tell me he couldn't live with the 26" barrels I told him I would not accept a return for that reason. He got huffy and hung up on me. I'm sorry he's not happy and I'm sorry I even stuck the "3 day return" in my e-mail. But my decision stands.
Thank you,

> Jim Legg <