September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hammergun, earlyriser, 4 invisible), 445 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,873
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can barely wait for that morning and the night before.
I have already seen a few grouse on the gravel roads, it has been raining for the last two days, it should be at least a decent season.
I have a new dog to try, she is still a pup at only four months. She is a griffon. I had her out in the backyard working on some pheasants and the other day, on one of our hikes she got to run into a covey of spruce grouse. I think she did not know much about what was going on, but the lab we have showed her it was a time of great excitement. The spruce grouse flew into the trees looking at us, we could have just picked them up with our hands...
I have a few guns I can pick for the first hunt...
On top, one of my daughters wants to come with me, for the dog's sake...Even my wife may accompany us.
Life is good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am excited for you. I hope there are lots of birds to work your new dog and hook your daughter and wife on hunting with bird dogs.

November 25th Quail season opens here.

Good luck!

Mike

I am glad to be here.

Make sure you gun break the pup first before taking it afield.

Mike,
We make an annual trip to Alanreed TX but the fire follow by drought detested the quail populace in the past two season.

How does the quail population look for the panhandle this year?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You sure are lucky to enter the field so early... hoping for no snakes? Hope the temps are good for you and the dogs.
We'll be chasing some birds, without guns, this upcoming weekend.
BTW...this post is off-topic without any pics of the guns or the young fuzzy dog. Something like this may be appropiate at a later date... pointed and retrieved before 6 months... never mention numbers.
[img][/img]

Good for your family and good luck, be safe.

I'll look forward to seeing some future reports.
R.R.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Silver:
Hope the heat co-operates with you on September 1st. In Michigan we have to wait until September 15th for grouse and the beginning of October for Woodcock. Usually still quite green until later in September. Very anxious for opener here.

What type of grouse do you have around Eureka? I know by Missoula they are supposed to have some ruffed grouse, but never hunted in Montana. Spent a summer in Lost Trail Pass back in the early 60's and it sure was a beautiful area.

Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chicago,

We have ruffed in the lower elevation then spruce and blue in the higher elevations.
It has cooled off in the last few days, only in the sixties and with the rain grouse gets out on the road in the morning and evening...Many of us hunt them with .22's, but it is more fun to shoot them on the wing...
Last year it was hot and I could find them around water...THis year it might be another story.

Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is the promise!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Buzzbee
Make sure you gun break the pup first before taking it afield.

My best guess is fair to good. One my birdlease landlords has a theory that correlates what percentage of his cows get pregnant to the quail population and he says it is going to be a good year for birds. The drought is broken in our area.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay, fully acceptable. Should have thrown in a pic of rusted damascus barrels and this thread would live forever. However, I think that the kid photos are cheating.
Good luck with the girls, both the dog and the young huntress.
Hope to see more updates, Griff-talk available.
Gratuitous pup pic.... [img][/img]
Thanks for the pics,
RR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.