Thanks CC- Hemingway (not Hemmingway) was a local legend out in Sun Valley-loved the Snug Bar-I don't have my copy of Carlos Baker's book on "Don Ernesto" handy- but know that same year Hemingway wrote an eulogy poem to a friend- "Best of All He Loved The Fall" but haven't yet found out who- a "newspaper morgue" microphische file search for the Sun Valley Times from that era might disclose something- Hemingway was a chronic alcoholic (like Ruark) and a womanizer- and a Machismo Hombre-but he was no coward- I think if he wanted to shoot someone, it would have been a head on heads up duel- and he would have owned up to a gunning accident= Just my viewpoint- but in "The Hemingway Women" by Bernice Kort 1981 Knopf- she details Hemingway in 1940-41 out there with third wife Martha Gelhorn-and after a late night of drinking- in which he "had words" with a guest- a John something or other- he awoke early (his work ethic habit for years) and saw three Canada Geese out on the lawn, from the upper deck-he grabbed and loaded a Model 12 and fired three shots- dropping one goose- and Marty was awoken- he first words were (allegedly) "Oh my God, Ernest- did you shoot poor old John?" After the tragic suicide on July 2nd. 1961 out in Idaho- for a long time later, his fourth and last wife Mary Welsh was in a severe state of denial- claimed "Ernest was cleaning a gun and it went off by accident"- I heard the family later had the gun- a Boss 12 bore double I believe, destroyed- I guess I wouldn't mind owning a 12 gauge M12 Trap that "Plinky" Topperwein once shot record scores with- but I would not want to own that Boss-any more than I would want to own "Machine Gun Kelly's Thompson 1921 .45ACP "chopper"- Not my interest-RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..