Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Miller,
That's like saying if the thrust of the Space Shuttle is doubled in one portion of the boost phase and decreased in another to equal the same top speed, altitude and orbit, then the ride to the crew will be the same.

Chuck;
My total point is "WE ARE NOT TALKING OF CHANGES OF THIS MAGNITUDE". Give me some firm scientific data as to just how much the acceleration rate is changed by changing a forcing cone from ½" to 1½" for instance, it most certainly will not be cut in half. To have a succesful load we must first stay within max safe pressure & second maintain an adequate pressure to insure complete combustion. Looking at an older Alliant loading guide at a 3de-1 1/8oz load for 1200 fps & using a popular hull, primer & wad, loads were given for three powders. 18grs Red dot, 19½ grs Green Dot & 21 Grs Unique. Now "In Theory" the RD load should reecoil less, because it uses a lighter powder charge, but the Unique load should "Feel" easier because it accelerates slower. Frankly I don't think if I had a box of each & handed them to you randomly where you knew not which was which, you could pick out which was which. Certainly, if that acceleration rate was changed to a significant enough degree, even though the final result (IE MV) was the same the difference could be felt. We are however not speaking of using Bullseye vs Reloader 22 or for that matter even Red Dot vs Blue Dot. RD is not suitable for a high vel 1¼oz load & BD is unsuited for a light 1oz load. As long as powders are maintained within an approriate rate for the load at hand I am reminded of two statements I have read.
1st, was made by Julian Hatcher;
"There are many things which sound real good when said Fast, that won't hold up to a thorough investigation"
2nd, I do not recall where or by whom to give credit;
"98% of advertising is not to sell the product, but to convince a person they have a problem with what they are currently using".
Most of the advertising claiming reduced recoil, without reducing the ballistics, fits both categories.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra