Originally Posted By: CMWill
If any air comes into contact with the metal you will get an ugly grey scale. PeteM is right (thank you much for posting the photos by the way). Many older films and probably many of todays modern documentaries do not reveal the entire process simply because it wouldnt benefit them. I havent seen the film, but from the looks of the pictures he has that crucible right over top of the (flowing?) water. Then it looks like he practically plunges it in the water while simultaneously turning over? This would surely prevent any air from contacting the steel during the quench, as there appears to be no drop distance between the crucible and the water like many of us are doing, but Im not certain it would produce optimum colors. There is also the possibility that he placed a flat lid on top of everything and then re-covered it with charcoal, but who knows.

Theres just something about that sh*t eatin grin on his face and how his bare hand is so close to the freshly remove 1000F+ crucible that still makes me wonder?

I have the software to "step frame by frame" through the film, which I did. He places an uncovered crucible in the furnace and you can see the black charcoal. He removes and carries it to the barrel with running water. He seemingly tips it directly into the water. As he does this, the internal of the crucible is not black, but a lighter grey tone than crucible. Is the charcoal glowing at this point?? Or did they switch crucibles during the filming and in fact there is a cover that fits internally.

From the film you get the impression that he immediately pulls the strainer from the water and handles the receivers. Movie magic? Perhaps. I have images of the damascus makers handling very hot metal bare handed, so I can not be sure.

What bothers me is they "fudge" the schedule by stating it as "three to four hours". I just don't buy that. I think they are hiding the particulars of the process.

On the whole, I should state that the original film must have been in very bad condition. I am pretty sure they taped the original playing on a screen. This tape was eventually converted to DVD. So it is a third generation image product by my guess. Definition and framing are degraded.

However, it is still worth watching. As it is the only historical record we have of an American gun making factory during this time period. I got a kick out of watching the workers going home at the end of the day.

Pete