"NO good one ounce load exist for the 28. They end up too slow and pattern too poorly to be effective."

I've never patterned my 28 with any load, so you may be right about the patterning. And I've never checked the muzzle velocity, so you may be right on that one, too. But the 'effective' part? As I said earlier, my success rate with the heavy 1 oz. loads would rate 'excellent' on just about anyone's scale. Point, shoot, dead.

I haven't done the math but I'll bet a 1 oz. load in a 28ga. is not much further from 'good' than a 1 oz 20 ga load - and no one is griping about that one.

I think a great deal of dissatisfaction with ANY gun or load comes from lack of familiarity. A guy uses a 12 every year for thousands of rounds, picks up a 28 and misses a bunch - the gauge is no good. A guy shoots 28" barrels for years then picks up a 26" barreled gun and it feels 'funny', so 26" barrels are too short.

If a person shot only a light 24" 28ga. gun with 1 oz. loads, in a year he would swear there was nothing better. Th problem lies not with the gun but the with shooter's noggin 99% of the time.

Last edited by GregSY; 11/26/06 01:39 PM.