October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, Gr8day), 199 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,955
Posts551,188
Members14,462
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: texraid
It's a beautiful rifle and a great story. Tell us more about the owner and how you got it. Very seldom can an un-named rifle be traced back to anyone.

Classic story for gun nuts.

A group of us guys that grew up together would frequent a local gun show that was held twice a year. We were all in our mid to late 20's with good middle-class jobs, and loved guns. We traded guns a lot and even rented a table a time or two.

On this occasion I was the only one of the group that was able to attend, so I asked my wife if she wanted to go with me. She acquiesced, so we found ourselves in the shuffling line around the tables of guns. I looked up about 3 tables ahead and saw someone handling a period Springfield custom that looked like a "Linden". In truth, Linden was about the only old custom gun maker I even was aware of.......so any good looking period sporter would have been a "Linden".

When we got to that table, I asked the elderly gentleman (who would have been about 69 at the time.....only 7 years older than I am now!) if that Springfield custom was a "Linden". "Why yes, it is!" was the reply. He seemed surprised that a young guy would even know who Linden was. I had to have it.

His price was a princely $750. I had about $25 with me and asked him if he'd hold it for me with that sum. He picked it up and put it in an old leather sheepskin lined case, gave me his address, and told me to come around to his home when I had the money. Cash.....not a check.

We had just built a house that year, so I didn't have that kind of money laying around. Borrowed it from my brother-in-law. The whole project with my wife's approval!

That's the story. I talked for an hour with old Homer when I picked it up that weekend, and saw him once more after that at another gun show. He showed me the Colt Bisley he had just purchased. Wish I'd been more curious.

Funniest thing.........I never noticed the engraving until I picked up the gun that weekend from Homer. As Michael posted earlier, it's Kornbrath.

Last edited by GrandView; 11/17/08 10:42 PM.
WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful story.

Jerry Liles

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov

Tell us more about Emil Koshollek's rifle!

I'll tell you what I know.............and more about what I suspect.

One of our group bought the gun in Stevens Point, WI.....Emil Koshollek's home town. It's stamped "E. J. Koshollek" behind the grip cap, and also under the butt plate. Probably by a home made stamp from typewriter keys. The seller said it was Koshollek's hunting rifle, and my friend found the nephew who verified that fact.

Now here's where there's a little mystery. Not sure if it came from the nephew, or if it was our uneducated assumption that any period sporter was a "Linden".......but the gun carried the reputation of having been stocked by Linden.

It's obviously a very early effort, because although the dimensions are spot on, it comes up like a dream........the lines of the stock aren't as refined as done by an accomplished professional. The stock has metal grip cap and butt plate, but rather primitive. The checkering is well done, but very coarse.....about 10 lpi. When I acquired it, and I believe also when originally bought by my friend, the barreled action had been glassed into the black walnut stock, and it carried a Redfield receiver sight. All else was original 1903 Springfield.

I personally believe the entire ensemble was done by Koshollek himself. I could be wrong, and it may be a very early Linden job. I believe the metal furniture was Koshollek's earliest efforts at that type of work. Why still hunt with it rather than upgrade it with the type of work he ultimately became capable of? It's a tool. It worked. The good stuff was sold to make money......not to afford yourself with those luxuries!

Idared will post pictures of this rifle for further discussion. Right Larry?

Sidelock
Sidelock

GrandView,
Your pictures are outstanding, what kind of camera and lighting did you use?

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

More stuff I forgot to mention........

The first owner of the Linden was Haushammer (or some variation of that spelling), and Homer said he was "an Olympic shooter". Not sure what that really means, and I regret not having the intellectual curiosity to research it more. The gold initials on the floorplate are small A & C intertwined on a large H. So I presume an A.C. Haushammer.

Homer traveled with him to pick up the finished rifle at Linden's shop in Bryant, WI. And I'd love to have the opportunity now to spend a day with him recreating his every memory of that trip.

As detailed in Michael Petrov's excellent book, Linden's shop still exists. At least it still did in 2005........which was the last time I wandered through the tall weeds to look at it and take some pictures. I fear it is not long for this world. It's the only building left of that place that Linden's sister owned.

Last edited by GrandView; 11/17/08 10:24 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Don Moody
GrandView,
Your pictures are outstanding, what kind of camera and lighting did you use?

Gosh Don, I'm almost embarrassed by the quality of my pictures! I'd love to do work like Steve Hughes or Michael Petrov!

But thank you, sir! The camera is an Olympus C-2100, with macro option & flash, and I used IrfanView software to sharpen the images.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Idared will post pictures of this rifle for further discussion. Right Larry?

Unfortunately I am at work and the only picture I can find is this one. It isn't a very good picture I admit.

Also, I might add that I have since been told that the rifle had a military front sight on it at one time which makes perfect sense. I was somewhat surprised that it wears a Redfield receiver sight at present, but the receiver sight fits the stock perfectly so I believe that is what was used. I have obtained an unaltered 03 barrel and am in the process of installing it in the stock since it appears that was probably what was there originally. I will try and take some pictures of the stock tomorrow and post them.

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great stuff guys, thanks for sharing. I like your Linden very much and think it's one of the best ones I have seen. I love that you have the history with it. I'm thinking someday I should have some pictures that I could publish of that rifle. The problem with writing articles is I have to publish about 1% of the information that I have gathered on any subject so it's nice to share some of that here with others that have the same interest.

Here is something to ponder on.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Here is something to ponder on.

Hmmm.....

Other than the bolt sleeve, it looks suspiciously like the action Emil Koshollek built. Is it?

The only picture I've seen of it is in Linden's Gunstock Finishing pamphlet on page 9. The caption says Koshollek built it "lock stock and barrel".

The cocking knob in your picture appears to be much like an '03 Springfield, while the one pictured in Linden's pamphlet is a smaller diameter. All else looks identical.

The rifle in Linden's pamphlet says chambered for ".250 caliber". Savage....Roberts.....wildcat?

Last edited by GrandView; 11/18/08 10:40 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.