October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Der Ami, SKB, montenegrin, ksauers1), 251 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,955
Posts551,187
Members14,462
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First let me say how much I like this site and this forum. People and topics I truly enjoy.

I purchased this rifle at a gun show 32 years ago. Some might enjoy guessing the maker's identity, as well as the engraver. Best estimates it was stocked in the late 30's. The original buyer was a target shooter. The gun was passed on to a friend of his. (I'm the 3rd owner) I doubt it ever saw use in the field, because it doesn't have typical signs of that type of use.

I have many more pictures, but sadly they're all of this quality. I was hoping to take some outside, but it's snowing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BTW.......you may notice on the floorplate.....amidst all that engraving......"4907" scratched in the metal. That's the birthdate of the 2nd owner. It could certainly be burnished out, but he was kind of a neat old guy........so I've never done it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll take a stab....Linden-Koshollek?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can I play?

Probably not since I have held that rifle a few times.

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is one very nice rifle, I like it a lot. I just thought that you bought the rifle on April 9, 2007 and made a note on the floorplate

Would you please look at the bolt knob checkering under magnification and tell me if you think the checkering was done to the bolt knob or a hole was cut through the knob and a piece that was rounded on both ends was checkered then installed into the hole?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov

Would you please look at the bolt knob checkering under magnification and tell me if you think the checkering was done to the bolt knob or a hole was cut through the knob and a piece that was rounded on both ends was checkered then installed into the hole?

Yes....it's a checkered plug, Michael. Hopefully the pictures will show that clearly.

What at first may appear as checkering "overruns", under close examination prove to be radial cuts for a decorative border. Obviously filed in before the plug is inserted.

As you can see from the "under side" of the knob.........the ground "facing" for the decorative radial cuts isn't quite as uniform as the top side. I presume this side was done first. <grin>

Last edited by GrandView; 11/17/08 11:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

hi ho grandview,

tell what i'm gonna do.. send me the rifle and i'll study on it for about 5 or 15 years..

..ttfn..grampa..

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: texraid
I'll take a stab....Linden-Koshollek?

Yes. Well done.

It is stocked by Alvin Linden. Beyond the bolt knob, likely not a lot of Emil Koshollek work. Linden made his own barrel bands, and there isn't a lot of metal work beyond that.

Linden mentioned his "Sibley checked" butts in his stocking pamphlets, but died before writing the checkering book for Samworth......so there isn't any instructions for it. My rifle is the only example I've ever seen. I've heard that many examples of his checkered butts were replaced with pads or metal buttplates. In truth, it probably is a bit impractical for a hunting piece. The fact that this is a target rifle, and was used as such by the man who owned it, probably is the reason it still exists unchanged. It's an interesting exercise, because it's checkered horizontally, vertically, and diagonally. Under magnification the points appear like pyramids on a square base.

The man who inherited the rifle from its original owner also knew Linden. He would have been 39 when Linden died. I regret not pumping him for more information, but I had just begun my own familiarization with Linden's work. That started when I took possession of Emil Koshollek's personal hunting rifle. That verified by a nephew of Emil's. My brother, Idared on this forum, now owns that rifle.

Last edited by GrandView; 11/17/08 10:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a beautiful rifle and a great story. Tell us more about the owner and how you got it. Very seldom can an un-named rifle be traced back to anyone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Least we not forget the engraver, one Mr. R. J. Kornbrath. This is the only Linden I have seen with a checkered butt.

Tell us more about Emil Koshollek's rifle!

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.