June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (coosa), 292 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,623
Posts547,092
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will shoot damascus with low pressure loads. With all the usual safty checks and no less that 0.020 wall thickness.

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use damascus barrelled gun all teh time with modern loads. The key is to use a load suited to the gun. with american guns, you need to guess what will work and I'd expect most to err on teh safe side.

With British guns you just need to match the proof marks to teh ammunition myou are using. If the gun is still in proof and sound, it will be safe to use with the corresponding loads.No need to go ultra-low pressure, just stick to the correct loads n the correct length hulls.

I favour Game-bore 'Pure Gold' 2 1/2" loads in true 65mm cases loaded with 1oz of No.6 and fibre wads for almost everything except ducks and geese. Hull also produce a good fibre-wad 65mm shell and Eley Grand Prix is a load I use in my 16-bores with damascus barrels. All these guns have 2 1/2" chambers and corresponding proof marks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot Gamebore's black powder shells in my Remington 12g 1894 AE. The barrels are thick and heavy, so I feel pretty good when pullin' the triggers. I'd have to say, the gun doesn't get much of a workout - it was bought just to have an American damascus gun around.
I think the barrels are the thing, no matter how careful your loads are. Pitted barrels might cut loose with a bottle rocket fired from 'em!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a generalization, but bore pitting is on the inside of structure that is stressed much more highly on the outside than inside. The pits would have to be extremely deep to make much difference in the ability of the barrel to handle pressure, IMO. The fact is that many a gun owner will go thru countless hours of hand wringing over a few pits less than .010" deep and have a number of guns laying around with similar depth engraving on the outside of the chamber area of a gun, a much more highly loaded area.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/03/08 09:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Chuck said. Also, pitted damascus barrels from tests posted here were shown not to give way any faster than non-pitted barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And don't forget the roll marking or engraving of the maker in the tapered area of the barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pitted barrels could be an outward sign of something deeper - something lurking in the metal itself.
...but shootem if you gotem eh!

Boxlock
Boxlock

so how about these? they have their 7/8th oz shot charges listed as making 5900 psi....

https://www.bandpusa.com/Shopping/product_info.php?cPath=65_70&products_id=98

I bought a box of the 1oz loads, though I'm sure they could get me a flat or two of the 7/8 loads if I so desired.

I bought the 1oz loads because thats all my store had in stock, and I decided that I would try them out in my Stevens 311A...

The 1oz loads feel pretty much like a regular 2 3/4 shell...sounded the same too...i will probably see if they can get me some 7/8oz to run through the W.C. Scott....

Last edited by TheGreg; 12/03/08 09:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just want to remind everyone here that Sherman Bells testing was hardly up to scientific standards and,as far as I'm concerned,didn't really prove anything.
I love the look of damascus barrels and feel this was a real art form but I also recognize the inherent weakness in this type of construction.
Having said that I also believe that their prudent use with proper low pressure shells certainly minimizes the possibility of a burst and if that's your thing go for it.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 12/03/08 09:26 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
I just want to remind everyone here that Sherman Bells testing was hardly up to scientific standards and,as far as I'm concerned,didn't really prove anything. I love the look of damascus barrels and feel this was a real art form but I also recognize the inherent weakness in this type of construction.

I would like to see actual scientific evidence that damascus barrels are inherently weaker, and if so, by how much.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.