September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (steve voss, Chad Linder, SKB, buckstix, azgreg, 1 invisible), 428 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Oldmodel70
My best experience at a gunshow happened when I noticed a used Redfield 3x9 laying on one of the tables. Was a good looking scope; but priced about 50 bucks too high. When I asked the dealer, "Why is it priced so high?" He replied: "It ain't been looked through much".
Grant.

It sometimes takes a bit but this one cracked me up!!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep 'em coming....for guys like me who have NEVER been to a gun show, I have to admit that these stories are priceless - thanks to all for sharing!

Last edited by VaCollector; 12/03/08 08:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I get preverse humor out of going to the larger shows in Dallas with a motor case that is empty. A lot of dealers want to stop me and find out what's in the case. I just say it's just an old Parker and keep going.

Childish on my part, Yes it is. But I can't help myself.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to go to the shows as much as I could with Uncle Loren, and he's the one that really got me interested in the old sxs's. He's been gone for 6 - 8 years now, I sure do miss him.
We were at a Tulsa show and ran across a table with 4 or 5 doubles on it. The guy mentioned he had others for sale, but they were under the table in cases, was there anything in particular we were looking for. Unc told him he was looking for some certain gun, I don't remember now what it was. The guy said he had one and it was a dandy. Unc asked to look at it, and the guy asked if he was gonna buy it. Unc told him he probably would if it was what he wanted, and if they could agree on a price. The guy told him that wasn't good enough, he had to commit to buying before he would get it out from under the table. It went downhill from there pretty fast. Him and Unc was nose to nose across the table, and getting pretty loud. His buddy started around the table towards Unc, I stepped in front of him and told him me and him weren't involved.............yet, but one more step and we would have dealings of our own. We stood out of the way, and kinda eyeballed each other til Unc and the other guy "Talked things over". (Heck of a cuss fight!)
Next time we headed for the Tulsa show Unc said "If that got-danged Perfessor son-a-(beep) is there and says just one word to me, I'm a-gonna fetch him over to my side of the table and adjust his got-danged attitude fer him!" And he meant it!! I think he looked more for the "Professor" (Perfessor) than he did at the guns. Didn't find him though. Whew!
Yessir, Unc had just the least little bit of a temper, and the perfessor had done went and lit his fuse!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of old Parkers, I was at a Gun Show in San Antonio a few months ago, and ran across a feller with an old 12 ga Parker on his table. The barrels had been chopped off 2", the stock had been chopped off and then lengthened with mis-matched wood. Other than that, it was plain, decent gun. I figured it would be a decent shooter for upland and a little skeet, so I asked the price: "$6,000, and I ain't budging". Needless to say, it was still on his table at the end of the show.

A few rows down, another guy had a much nicer Parker, unaltered, some engraving, and in 20 ga. This guy was asking $3999, which seemed like a reasonable price to me.

But the best part of the show was a guy who had some German drillings on his table. Very cool! There was a button that when pushed popped up a rifle sight, and a lever on the side to drop it back down. The guy running the table was very educated on them, and didn't mind talking to us for probably close to an hour. A great guy, and if I'd have had the $$ in my budget, I might have brought that gun home...

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Katie and Jessie
I get preverse humor out of going to the larger shows in Dallas with a motor case that is empty. A lot of dealers want to stop me and find out what's in the case. I just say it's just an old Parker and keep going.

Childish on my part, Yes it is. But I can't help myself.

Regards, Gordon

Back in the bad old days when I was a young lawyer of early thirties, making serious coin of the realm, me and my equally qualified hunting buddies (United Airline's captain, IBM executive, et al), would go to gun shows to be insulted by the self-important old farts with over-priced junk guns on their tables. You know the drill; "Don't touch until you show me your money; Cash talks and BS walks, etc..." So we evolved a plan...

My friend Dan had a real nice Parker Brothers CHE 28-bore that we would carry to selected shows, not to sell, but just to flash around and get our jollies off watching the excessively obese just-barely-mobile would-be "dealers" drop their hot dogs and try to climb over their tables, saying (pant, pant) "Excuse me sir, is that a Parker?"

We'd say that we just bought the gun from some walk-in guy who had it in a case; we'd invent some ridiculously low price, and the story that he inherited it, but his wife didn't want a gun around the house. We'd play dumb, look on the action, announce that it was, in fact, marked "Parker Bros," and ask if we got a good deal... Fun, fun, fun. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

For several years I would see an old man toting a rough Model 12 28ga around. He would never price it or entertain an offer.... I think he just wanted someone to talk to.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I mentioned this before but back in the 60's I accompanied an older friend of mine to the OGCA shows that were held in the Veterans Memorial Building. He had a trick he pulled many times that was a lot of fun. When some know it all type would look at one of his displayed guns and make some ridiculous offer he would act like he was shocked and ask "Is that all its worth?" After being told yes, he would decline and when the guy walked away he would take the gun and put it in a case under the table. Later when said know it all returned as they most often did, after looking around they would ask "Did you sell the gun?"
He would tell them yes and thank them for letting him know the true market price and would tell him that as he wanted to be fair to everyone he sold it for "and would name price about $25.00 or so below what the expert had said it was worth. It was always great to see the look of dismay on their face.

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had tables at Gun Shows for 35 years.The dumb ones are exasperating but sometimes humerous. The ones that come back and work over and handle a a gun for 30 minutes may be the most frustrating. I had one idiot in Houston come back time after time to look at an 1894 Remington and move the top lever back and back and back and forth until he broke the top lever spring. I don't believe from his appearance that could have bought a cap pistol. He then walked quickly away without an apology.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My"50 foot" Browning:

I was walking around a gun show one day and I guy coming at me from the other direction was carrying a Browning standard grade 22 auto. I stopped him and asked if it was for sale. Upon looking it over the only real problem with it was extremely thin washed out blueing on the receiver. After commenting on the receiver blueing I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $125. Knowing this was reasonable I bought the gun and continued down the aisle. I had gone about 50 feet when a dealer stopped me and asked to look at the rifle. He bought it from me for $300.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.