June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (Borderbill, MattH, FlyChamps, Jimmy W, lonesome roads, 1 invisible), 285 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,640
Posts547,285
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Randy, that Baker 20ga. would not be Damascus. it would have been fluid steel. I may be wrong though. I didn't think the 20ga. Baker was anything but fluid steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave;
I don't think he said it was a 20ga. I think he was saying there was positively not a 20ga shell ahead of it in the chamber.
I have no idea as to cause, but I don't much believe 5800psi caused thar & that kind of swelling in the head of the casing.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

RMC's Baker, if he is an experienced loader with the PW 800 series, is the classic "primer in the powder" type of blowup. A double powder charge would be extremely unlikely. However, when such an accident happens, step one is to dismantle all remaining shells to weigh the powder charges and look for other signs of problems. I don't care if I have 100 more loaded shells in the same lot, I will cut them all to pieces and weigh all powder charges.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RMC's Baker should have had plenty of wall thickness at the point where it blew up. If there was no obstruction, those barrels must have been honed within a nanometer of their lives. IMHO, if you're going to be buying and shooting damascus doubles it makes sence to invest in a barrel thickness gauge. This seems like a must have tool to me.

tim

Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have seen a shotgun proved in Birmingham at 850 bar with a 2 3/4 chamber lenghtened from 2 1/2 and a barrel wall thickness of 83 thousandths at the muzzle end of the chamber.
My damascus barrel that I shot the 3 3/4 dram eq. with 1 1/4 oz load is 95 thou at the same spot. Not nitro proofed.
I still wonder how much do we increase the risc of blown up barrels with the higher pressure rounds?
If that Baker barrel was blown by only 6500 psi, there is nothing really safe to shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't own or shoot Damascus. However, I believe it is "safe" to do so with "modern" loads, assuming either a) a reload at appropriately low pressure; or b) factory loads matching the proof level of the gun in question.

I don't even use American factory ammo (that is, from Win/Rem/Fed--with one exception) in my steel-barreled, in proof, 2 1/2" Brit 12's from the 1930's. The exception would be the low pressure "vintage" loads Federal made up for Midway, somewhere in the 6,000 psi range if I recall. I either shoot shells like RST's or Kent Gamebores, or else I reload to appropriate low pressures. I'd feel safe doing the same thing with a Damascus gun, if inspected and given a "pass" by a knowledgeable doublegun smith.

Last edited by L. Brown; 12/07/08 05:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
...The exception would be the low pressure "vintage" loads Federal made up for Midway, somewhere in the 6,000 psi range if I recall. I either shoot shells like RST's or Kent Gamebores, or else I reload to appropriate low pressures. I'd feel safe doing the same thing with a Damascus gun, if inspected and given a "pass" by a knowledgeable doublegun smith.

Midwayusa claims they are 5,000 psi.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=613940

I would not be surprised if some measured closer to 6,000 psi. That would still put them in the very low end of the sprectrum.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, what piece of information do you have that would cause you to be less than surprised if the Federal loads for Midway measure 20% more pressure than claimed?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
RMC's Baker, if he is an experienced loader with the PW 800 series, is the classic "primer in the powder" type of blowup. A double powder charge would be extremely unlikely. However, when such an accident happens, step one is to dismantle all remaining shells to weigh the powder charges and look for other signs of problems. I don't care if I have 100 more loaded shells in the same lot, I will cut them all to pieces and weigh all powder charges.
Eightbore, Could you elaborate on the "classic primer in the powder type of blowup"? I'm not familiar with this. I'm also inclined to agree with Miller that 5800 psi did not cause that type of deformation of the case head. Maybe a wad from the previous shot lodged in the bore, was blown out with the destructive shot and found downrange with the rest. I don't routinely look thru the bores of my guns before reloading even though that is inherently easy with a double (except for a Darne). Maybe this Baker is a reason to try to develop a habit of looking before loading.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
William Greener tested some bars of various damascus metal by pulling them till they broke (Prior to wrapping into a bbl). The better grades showed tensile strengths of 60-76K psi. Some cheap bbls which contained no steel showed only 40K or less. This was 1834, no doubt these cheaper bbls fell by the way side & bbls were likely produced which had even higher strength than the Best of '34. By way of camparsion Wrought Iron has a strength of about 48K, Low Carbon open hearth steel about 56K while a piece of plain carbon 1035 steel will show from 83 to 96k depending upon its temper (1300°F to 800°F). More modern 4140 alloy steel (A common steel for gun bbls) starts at 110K at a temper of 1300°F up to 180K at 800°F. These are the tempertures to which the steel is tempered or drawn after heat treating. There is no question modern alloy steels used in todays guns exceed the strength of the vintage gun bbls whether steel or Damascus. Plain carbon steel having a carbon content greater than about 40-45 points was not really suitable for gun bbls so most early steel bbls are not really stronger than good damascus/twist bbls. By the time the breech loaders became commonplace most of the really poor damascus had been done away with. In speaking of a CA 1900 vintage Parker, Smith, Lefever, ETAL I think it really matters little which type bbl it has.

That's why it pays to only shoot Vintage Damacus barreled guns that were originally High Quality...the higher grade guns had higher grade barrels.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.