June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, Karl Graebner, fallschirmjaeger, 3 invisible), 539 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,606
Posts546,908
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.B.
Mr. Petrov, While I am not 21, I am probably one of the youngest members of the board. I read this site everyday picking up information that can't be found else where. Before this board started I always viewed rifles as tools not art like a fine sxs. This board has opened my eyes and you have shown me that rifles can be in the same class as a fine double. I am now in the hunt for a nice vintage rifle to hunt with next season but really have no idea where to start. How about a topic for the beginner, what to look for what to avoid and so on? I would like to thank you and the other members for pushing for this forum. While I may not post much I am always here. Thanks, JB

JB, First it's Michael, when someone says they are young I think, not drawing social security yet ;-). About 600 views to this thread and no one 21 or under, offer is good until Christmas.

JB, well read all you can on the subject, look at the pictures and ask questions. When you run across a possible classic rifle that your looking to buy, run it past me first. You can email me or call me. Folks call me all the time and I would much prefer you ask me about a rifle before rather than after. I hate to give bad news like last week I had to tell a fellow his Hoffman was a modern restock. Please remember the time zones you would be amazed how many 4-5AM calls I get.

mjpetrov@acsalaska.net
(907) 522-4628

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

What J.B and whitey said, I am here every day to and I love all the technical stuff and all the good pictures, I learn every day from this site. I for one would be willing to pay for articles of interest but there is more into the subject than that.

This is a little hard for me to write hence I don’t want to offence anyone, In my work I have done my part of articles these articles was in the electronic industry and was outdated and forgotten in 5 to 10 years. The articles you gentlemen’s write will last forever and I think that you have an obligation to the future single shot enthusiasts not to have your great knowledge vanish in time but be there for those in the future that needs it , a lot of knowledge in this field has gone in time and need to be re-invented just because people like us was thinking the same thing “how much can I get out of this”.

So write your articles, have fun when doing it (I know I have)and feel good inside when you see it published in some magazine even though you did not get rich in money, but it will warm you inside each time you hear people talking about this good article, also in a 100 years from now when you are looking down from above.

I see all your knowledgeable gentlemen’s spend a lot of time helping people here on this forum and earlier on other forums as well for free, in 100 years from now all this will be forgotten but if you turned it in to articles in some magazine the knowledge will be there forever and people will look back as we do today and thanks those gentlemen’s making this articles.

The last thing is there is a great difference between the thing you gentlemen’s are writing and what the journalists who need to find something new for every issue to sell even if it is a step back or complete fullness.

Michael

Sidelock
Sidelock

What Michael said. I can't believe that someone with a little smarts.( that leaves me out)About printing etc. Like Maybe Green Frog or JD or???.Could not put a book together with just a index and the articles.It does not have to have a fancy cover etc. Maybe something simlar to the De Hass idea book.Or What ever.
Please somebody that can do this DO IT. It would not only be great for the hobby but I think make you a little money. JMO.Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele
DD, your suggestion is a good one and I initially wanted to go that way, but was dissuaded by the relative unavailability of Cadet parts. Then the concept of an offset bore occurred to me; been done plenty of times before, it ain't rocket science, but the extraction would work with only one particular case head size. It happened to be the 30-30 size, you'll notice all the ones I mentioned above are that size. I could also have probably used either of the 303 Savage or 30-40 sizes but IMO they are slightly too large for loads above 40K.
Regards, Joe

So the 30-30 extractor has sufficient contact to extract? What did you do about the exposed sides of the rimfire case? Any problems with bulging or rupture of the unsupported sides?

Last edited by The Double D; 12/19/08 02:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, At 28 I doubt SS will be around for me to draw I will most definitely give you a call before I buy anything. I would also like to chat about living in Alaska, which is where I plan to be in the next few years. Thanks again, -JB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Steele,

All of my case photos are prints and negatives, from my days when I was more active in making and restoring cases. I did take a lot of "before" and "during" photos that would be illustrative. I don't have a single example of completed cases, however, as I sold the guns that I cased for myself. I have one case I'm working on now, so I'll try to remember to take digital photos during the building process. If you have questions, I'd be glad to help. Just email or call. I sent you an email about Highwalls, so you may still have my contact information.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I just wanted to send out my appreciation for what looks to be a wonderful forum and simply say "thanks". I am a good 12 years older than 21 (so i am out of the running), but I have a passion for firearms which primarily centers around firearms that predate WWII. I have only recently started collecting single shots and am definitely intriged by not only the craftsmanship of the time period but of course too by the marksmanship. (Certainly there are some great craftsman and marksman today as well!) Whether it be at the range, home, or at a gun show or shop I have certainly drawn upon information provided by folks who are kind enough to share there knowledge and passion for firearms in forum such as this one. Its always nice to have another place to hang your hat.
Thanks
Darin

As far as a question.

I would think that most of us would agree that in addition to forums like this one, its necessary to read books to gain information whether it be for collecting, history, gunsmithing, reloading etc.

What are YOUR three or four must have books in your library that revolve around single shots?

Sidelock
Sidelock

In that list of books I would include books on the classic bolt guns.?? I thought I was out of bolt guns but this site has. Rekindled my interest. Smile. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank de Haas' Single Shot Rifles and Actions, Mister Single Shot's Gunsmithing Idea Book and Bolt Action Rifles, Townsend Whelen's Mister Rifleman, James Grant's single shot series, Ned Roberts' & Ken Waters' breechloading single shot book, Michael Petrov's Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century and Steve Hughes' Custom Rifles in Black and White. That's enough for a good start on both the aesthetics and the mechanics. Ned Roberts' earlier work on caplock target rifles was also a big influence for me. There are 40-50 more really top-drawer books but these are some of the ones I consider to be seminal.

My inclusion of Michael's and Steve's relatively recent works is not mere lip service to colleagues but rather is based upon my sincere opinion of the contents and their value to both existing and future enthusiasts. I only wish that these books contained more photos & descriptions of the frequently unique & fascinating details of the rifles' styling and mechanics, things like closeup shots of the Barney Worthen 1903 bolt lock or the Shelhamer grip strap for instance. This last comment is meant strictly as constructive criticism, my admiration for these books and their authors is tremendous and I await their next works eagerly.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe thanks for the info. Some I have the others I will get. Whitey

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.