Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is a real shame just to do them so incorrectly. I think Ed1 guns would looks so much better, if he would just leave the metal alone, instead of turning them into leopards. It is like taking a car to Earl Schieb or them other quicky paint places. Save your money from having them screwed up with the fake colors, pass the savings on to the buyer and let them recolor them. Heck give them the option.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug he has been hawking guns he has on Gunbroker in other threads. He has put up a defense that seemed sincere. I dont' doubt Gubroker Ed1 and our ed1 are the same.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My knowledge on ole' Ithaca doubles is infinitestimal at best. Can you go back to the link in original post and tell me what looks wrong on that NID 20ga? Is it that the trigger guard should have been blued? How much better would it look if Turnbull men did the work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm curious why Fox "Cromox" would not qualify as both an "alloyed steel" and as a case-hardenable steel. Was there no addition of chrome? That's assuming it was used for Fox actions as well as barrels. Somehow I have been led to believe it was by some comments about the peculiar tarnish-resistant sheen of "white" Fox actions. ????????

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aside from Ed's reputation as the worst of all hacks when it comes to gun 'fixin', he's also known for running shoddy auctions - you know, "I emailed him for more information and he never replied" or "I bought a gun from him and his communications were terrbile and the gun took weeks to arrive."

I think Ed1 wins the Gomer Pyle Lifetime Achievement Award - "Shame, shame, shame!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

The lever should be CC, but I'm not sure about the trigger guard. This part is blued on my original Sterlingworth, but this gun is from different maker and as I said my knowledge on it is very limited. Need answers to the original question, PLEASE.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jagermeister, to answer the original question...the top lever on the Ithaca factory NID's was case colored...the trigger guards were blued.

I own several NID's that have been re cased using the bone charcoal method by different gunsmiths, including Turnbull and while none of them have exactly duplicated the original Ithaca
factory case colors...the blues and yellows are not quite as soft...all are quite good. Turnbull's re case colors on NID's tend to be a little darker than other gunsmiths. While never having been a fan of the heat chemical process, the NID pictured in the first thread appears to be pretty close in duplicating the examples that I own. According to Walt, in the 60's when a customer sent an NID back to the factory for restoration, Ithaca would re-do the receiver using a heat chemical process. Probably because the risk of warping the receiver was less than using the bone charcoal method.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick, I believe that Walt Snyder's book contains an Ithaca memo that indicates that Ithaca gunsmiths had lost track of the process used by earlier Ithaca gunsmiths to recolor or reharden a "Knick" receiver. A substitute method was described. The substitute method, I believe, utilized a torch. Years ago, I sold a nice 4E Knick to a member of my gun club. He sent it to Ithaca for refinish and an upgraded stock. It came back with a hideous torch colored receiver and an obviously pre used high grade stock with the receiver junction seriously chipped. The original finish had obviouly not been stripped before the stock was installed on my friend's gun. I doubted that he had actually sent the gun to Ithaca as he claimed until I read the memo in Walt's book. I don't have a page reference, but I don't know where else I could have gotten that information.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it possible that the Ed1 posting here is actually Tolley the shepherd? Are we having our collective legs pulled guys?

Sidelock
Sidelock

And maybe he roasts lamb with the same torch he uses on the guns?

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.