Originally Posted By: 12brd
My question mainly pertains to the fact or not if I have to have the shops FFL copy to send to them. Package will go FED EX gound anyway. I've been told by the buyer of the shotgun that the shop that will receive it does not give out copies of its FFL. Seems odd, but if its ok to send without and thats where he want it to go to. Well then. JW

If you are not a licensee, you may ship only to a licensee. It is up to you, the shipper, to be sure you are shipping to a licensee. It is absolutely possible for you to ship a firearm to a convicted felon. The only way you can be sure you are not in violation of the law, is to have a copy of the FFL in your hand, and to ship only to the address on the FFL. That should keep you out of prison.

That said, I have shipped dozens of firearms over the years and never had the FFL. Why? Because I was shipping to Briley, Wenig, Cole, etc. for repairs and modifications, all businesses known to be gunshops. Neither UPS or USPS has ever questioned me about an FFL....the counter person couldn't care less. The FFL is your assurance that you aren't breaking the law. I'm in the process of selling my first at auction and I'll definitely have an FFL before I ship.

A gazillion guns are sold on Gunbroker by private sellers. Why not just go there and look under "For Sellers", then "Sellers Tutorial" and "Firearms Shipping Guide." It has all the info you need for UPS, USPS and FedEx in one handy spot. There you'll find...

"The most important thing to know is that you must only ship guns to a licensee. If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, he will have to make arrangements with a dealer in his state to ship the item to.
Before you ship a gun, the buyer must fax or mail you a copy of the licensee's signed FFL license. You can only ship the gun to the address on the license."