September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eeb, battle, bbman3, MattH, 2 invisible), 346 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,924
Posts550,761
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Idared Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know in the past someone was looking for one of these so I'll post the link to this one.

It is on Gunbroker

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Idared, I was one of those seeking a good 1903 receiver for Jerry Liles and this one looks like it could be a good one. Fortunately Jerry found another complete high-no action along with Lyman 48, so we're OK for now. However this one would make a fine future project if I had A) any extra money to purchase it and B) any extra tuits to build it. Thanks and regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm no expert, but the number on that receiver is very close to the change to double heat treatment. From "The 03 Springfields" by Clark Campbell:

"The exact number of the receiver at which Springfield Armory switched to the double heat treatment is unknown." And a bit further on in the same paragraph:
"Receiver No. 800,000 was completed on 20 Feb. 1918, and it is known that all receivers after 800,000 received the double heat treatment. It would seem, however, that even the number 800,000 is open to question in view of the uncertainty of the date and the fact that over 1000 receivers a day were being made. Thus the fact that receiver #801,540,which was broken in 1929 when fired with a 7.92 Mauser cartridge, is the only receiver recorded as having the double heat treatment to have been officially reported as broken..."

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now, could that be annealed and rehardened to eliminate any doubt?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

The short answer is no! I pulled out "Hatcher's Notebook" last night and discovered that the Campbell quote above was lifted entirely from Hatcher's earlier work. In the chapter on Receiver Steels and Heat Treatment he says the following: "The test brings out quite clearly the fact that uniform results cannot be obtained by re-heat treating old receivers which vary widely in chemical composition." Apparently once the steel has been "burned" the damage is done. There is quite a bit more detail in the book and I would recommend that you read it.

Because of multiple failures in the 1920's both arsenals and a special board assembled for the purpose recommended that the low number receivers be withdrawn from service and scrapped. This finding was overruled FOR BUDGETARY REASONS (my emphasis). The low number rifles were set aside as a war reserve and the question of disposal deferred.

I am not interested in starting any internet flame wars on this subject. If you want to shoot your low number rifle, have at it. But in light of the above I think the legal position of people like the DCM who recently sold low number rifles is risky. The odds of a failure are very low, but not as low as they should be. So I say, if you have a choice, get a known double heat treat or nickel steel Springfield.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 1878
I am not interested in starting any internet flame wars on this subject.

I see this quote a lot and never sure what it means. Do I understand that you are not interesting in other or different opinions on the subject?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

No not at all Mr. Petrov. I would be glad to read and consider any opinion expressed in a reasonable manner. What I was getting at is their are certain subjects which seem to arouse strong feelings and/or opinions. I thought this might be one of them, and what I was trying to avoid was a:

(Insert insult here), "I have always shot my low number rifle with above manual loads" type of discussion. Those type of exchanges seem common on these forums, for reference see a recent ASSRA thread concerning the suitability of a Stevens Favorite for rebuilding to a modern center-fire caliber as an example. There are always people who maintain that anything which has not killed them yet is good practice. My position with regard to low number Springfields is that the risk is very slight, but that it is completely avoidable, so why take it. I understand that other people's views may differ.

i think you hit the tack on the head and also the nail-------regards ben

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said 1878!

Idared Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 1878
No not at all Mr. Petrov. I would be glad to read and consider any opinion expressed in a reasonable manner.

How about this observation?

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.