July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Kolar Dickson, Hammergun), 150 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,642
Posts547,327
Members14,434
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, I own the J. Donn & Bros. that you have pictured in this thread.

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Timothy S
Michael, I own the J. Donn & Bros. that you have pictured in this thread. tim

Great! Can you share some info with us such as, is this a Daly with Kilby barrels? Who do you believe did what work on your gun?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had to log in so I don't know if this link will work. Is the owner of this gun here? Timothy S how does this compare with your gun?

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=30220&sale=209
SCARCE HIGH GRADE THOMAS KILBY DAMASCUS DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN. Cal. 12 ga. SN 1062. Fine English made double with 29” fine Damascus bbls choked IMP-MOD/IMP-CYL with tapered, concave matted rib, sgl bead, crossbolt rib extension, dbl underbites, ejectors & dbl triggers. Maker’s name is on rib. Mounted with highly figured English walnut with full checkered & leaf-carved splinter forearm with Prince of Wales stock, 14-1/4” over a carved & serrated horn buttplate. Stock has deep foliate-carved teardrop side panels and extensively carved foliate & floral wrist with stippled background. Bottom of grip has a black oval insert and there is a blank silver initial oval on bottom of stock. Receiver is elaborately engraved with the vignette of a bird dog on point with two pheasants on left side, a setter with two ducks on right side, a flying crane on bottom and a running doe deer on trigger bow, all surrounded by full coverage, very fine, foliate arabesque patterns with fine borders and a sunburst around hinge pin and the maker’s name is on each side. Appended metal is all engraved to match. Fences have side clips and it has, over the entire top of receiver, very deep relief, floral & arabesque engraving. Top tang has “SAFE” in gold. Accompanied by a pair of 28 ga. Briley sub-caliber tubes with screw chokes, having a total of four chokes. Also accompanying is the Briley hammer & removal plug. Additionally accompanying is a green felt-lined, leather case. Bore diameter: left - .725, right - .726. Bore restrictions: left - .025, right - .004. Wall thickness: left - .022, right - .024. Drop at heel: 2-5/8”, drop at comb: 1-9/16”. Weight with tubes: 7 lbs. 3.84 oz., weight without tubes: 6 lbs. 5.12 oz.. CONDITION: Bbls retain most of their orig strong Damascus pattern, slightly thinned over forearm area. Receiver retains 60-70% orig case colors, strong & bright in sheltered areas, fading to silver elsewhere. Triggerguard is silvered case colors. Wood is sound with minor handling & storage nicks and retains about all of a fine professional restoration. Mechanics are fine, bright shiny bores with light pitting just in front of chambers, may have been honed. Case shows light to moderate wear with some light water staining on one end. Interior is slightly moth eaten. 4-30220 JR64 (5,000-7,000)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, it looks like a Lindner Daly, BUT it does not have the usual Lindner marks. The SN is #941. It does have the Kilby Damascus Barrels and a carved gutta percha butt plate. The forearm is not the usual Charles Daly or Lindner forearm, it is a shorter 6.5 inch set-up with a Purdy type push button release. Really quite an interesting gun. And if I could, I'd post a couple of more pictures.

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
I had to log in so I don't know if this link will work. Is the owner of this gun here? Timothy S how does this compare with your gun?

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=30220&sale=209

Michael, the engraving is identical, definatly from the same hand. Mine is definatly a Lindner boxlock though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My hope is that the owner of the gun that was sold at Julia can confirm what is written on the rib, I suspect Donn but at this time, who knows. All three guns have the same bird and engraving on the bottom of the action. All three guns are consistent with engraving found on Daly guns. Later today I can post more pictures of the Daly-Donn that I got from a former owner.

grimm Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I would be happy to edit and modify the title if I knew how. I can't find an edit button. Help from a dummy!

John

Last edited by grimm; 02/23/09 11:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

An ad from Kilby & Son in Greener's Gunnery in 1858
http://books.google.com/books?id=hysPAAA...3&ct=result

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/22/09 06:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Timothy's Daly-Donn

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: grimm
I would be happy to edit and modify the title if I knew how. I can't find an edit button. Help from a dummy!
John

John, The "Edit" button will be at the bottom of your original post.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.