For those interested this is a pigeon ring (box birds). Each trap contains two spring loaded compartments. This particular location used nine traps per ring. I have seen seven, and I have seen five used before. When it's your turn you will shoot a round of five birds. You will call pull and the bird will be released randomly from one of the available traps.

At this particular location the fence is abour 18" high, and this is typical at most places I have shot. As Destry pointed out, it's very easy for a crippled bird to get over the fence. He's only dead if he is retrieved by the bird boy from inside the ring. Doesn't matter how dead he is outside the ring. I actually saw a bird boy accidently kick a bird out of the ring while trying to catch him. Fortunately the shooter wasn't close to being "in the money", but he was still pretty ticked off.

The shooter is standing on the yardage line, probably at 33 yards from the center trap. Most matches are 25 or 30 bird races, but I guess they can be anything the host wants them to be. If you run any of your rounds of five birds (except the last round), you back up a yard for the next round you shoot, and so on.

If the bird comes out of the far left or far right traps, heading for the closest fence; you've got some quick shooting on your hands.

Hack