September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Chad Linder, al, 375whelenIMP, 3 invisible), 510 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,846
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that my own personal choice would not include a 21 for the reasons already stated. I will put in a vote for the 2" 12 gauge however. A smallbore Fox would rank up there as well, I just haven't been fortunate enough to add one to the safe yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That "looooong action bar" on the 21 is matched by that on a Parker, gauge for gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 1882 Westley Richards 16ga makes me shoot better than I ever did before I bought it. So I take what I can hit with. The WR is my go to gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

2" 12 ga, @ 5#, 8-10oz., 26" bbls. My Hellis comes to mind.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm reminded of when I was a kid hunting pheasants with my 30" full choked BPS pump, because that was all I had. Missed a few close shots because of the tight choke, and ruined a few birds when I connected close too.

The perfect grouse gun? The one you have in your hand.

Otherwise, a 26" 6.2 lb. sk/lt.mod DT 16b would be about ideal in my opinion (like C'man's). You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, I used an A-5 twenty in imp. cyl. for ruffs and blues and it is a lot of fun. This year I used a CZ ringneck in 20 ga, cyl, and imp. cyl. Next year I think I'll try a 16 ga. o/u in skeet and light mod. The ideal gun is the one you get your limit with.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm having some fun with a Browning Citori Upland Special. At first I thought the barrels might be too short (24"), but it's a nice little shooter.

Never did understand all the fuss over the 21.

Kind regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite is a H.E. Akrill back action sidelock in 12 gauge. Light and so well balanced that it feels less than it is. It fits me perfectly and it shoots well. Sometimes I use my L.C. Smith 20 gauge with 26" barrels, which is a pleasure to carry. Its a wand, but I don't shoot it as well as the Akrill.

My 'best grouse gun' criteria:

- under 6lbs. for one-hand carry all day long;

- Straight stock for quick mounting;

- SxS or O/U for short length in heavy cover;

- single trigger and roomy trigger guard for Minnesota Decembers;

- Cyl. and Mod. chokes;

- 20ga.;

- and a perfect fit to the shooter.

There are quite a few guns that meet all these criteria, and many others that come reasonably close. My 'best grouse gun' for the past 12 years is a Bernardelli Hemingway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never understood the allure of the "carriage bolt" guns either. Perhaps the bolt is there to keep the gun from looking as horrible as a 21 does in the action bar, but, it looks more like a primitive repair. The Parkers I get to see around these parts(low grades, for the most part) often have a homemade matching repair in the stock. Is there a wedge built into a Parker, that is designed to split the head of the stock? One could begin to believe that with the frequency one sees bolts stuck through the head of the stock. A Parker is a complicated boxlock. At least the Parkers could be had in well balanced, lighter configurations, and had double triggers available to the end.

The 21 was there for the greatest falsehood ever foisted on the American shooting public, the twin myths of the magnum and short magnum cartridges. It was built heavy enough to indure a steady diet of same, at least if the ribs hold on anyway, and they often don't. In a time when most here have actually gone the other way, to low pressure and 2 1/2 inch loadings, often in smaller gauge guns, the 21 is an expensive anachronism, particularly in a discussion about hunting "Bonasa". Use it for that work if you like, but, calling it perfect for that use here will cause people to wonder if you have ever handled a different double gun, or if you really hunt grouse. The actual grouse and pheasant hunting I get to do here in the brave new millenium, always seems to involve lots of legwork, per bird taken. Maybe the guys that bought those 21s new had it easier.
Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.