September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (JulesW, KDGJ, Jtplumb, Silvers, 2 invisible), 447 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,843
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell - They must have traded with more than one state. The turkeys in Minnesota came from Missouri in the mid-70's in a trade for ruffed grouse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They traded for Indiana grouse? I never knew that Indiana ever had more than 5-10 grouse.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tell me. When you guys shoot grouse do you shoot them when they're on the ground or in the trees?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I give my vote to the M21 20ga. I like the looks of the gun, the reliable ST and I can shoot all the off season clay targets I want without any problems. I don't understand the pleasure anyone can find in hunting a gun that might come apart at the seams if a SuperX shell is inadvertantly used.

Last edited by Erik W; 12/11/06 01:10 PM.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Erik W
I give my vote to the M21 20ga. I like the looks of the gun, the reliable ST and I can shoot all the off season clay targets I want without any problems. I don't understand the pleasure anyone can find in hunting a gun that might come apart at the seams if a SuperX shell is inadvertantly used.

I assume that you are referring to damascus barrels. Well, by only purchasing low-pressure 2-1/2" loads I don't have to worry about that and I certainly don't need Super X shells to kill grouse. However, I have been known to shoot AA Trap loads out of my 1889 12 ga DH with 30" damascus barrels and I pretty much vaporize the birds. But for some reason I just can't seem to break more than 23/round though.

BTW, I shoot skeet, 5-stand, clays and anything else year round with my damascus guns and I have no fear that they will fail. But I do get a chuckle out of knowing that the other guys on my squad are cringing when I call "pull."

Last edited by Jay Gardner; 12/11/06 02:52 PM.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually I was thinking about the guy who shoots the Tobin that springs open at the sight of a box AA's, but I notice a little sensitivity on the part of you guys with swirled iron barrels. You probably do have some advantage with the clay targets as the rest of the squad cowers in the background. The Super X's are leftovers from SD pheasant hunting.

Last edited by Erik W; 12/11/06 03:47 PM.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shoot-N-Release
Tell me. When you guys shoot grouse do you shoot them when they're on the ground or in the trees?

You're thinking of partridge.......completely different bird.

Sam

Boxlock
Boxlock

I generally point at 'em somewhere in between while they're laughing at me.
Doppler effect thunderous laughter.

john

"Tucker will find those birds"
Boxlock
Boxlock

Okay, how's this? I have a 16ga Sterlingworth that is excellent in the uplands. However, the best possible Grouse gun is my Franchi Falconet O/U in 20 ga. that I picked up 25 years ago for about $125.00. It came with two stocks- the factory and a custom made straight English grip stock with just a bit of cast. I don't even know where the factory stock ever got to- the straight grip one is PERFECT. Gun is modified and improved cylinder, can't weigh more than 6lbs, points like a dream. Of my drillings, other O/U's, Sterlingworths, etc.- the Franchi is one gun I'd never give up. Now if there were just more Grouse in our Pennsylvania hills and mountains.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

a 21 doesn't have a weight issue, they (most of'em) have a missing trigger issue. A very open choke in the right barrel of a gun you shoot well is the best Grouse gun. Might add that having it stuffed w/ a correct load (for the bore)of #9's helps. Mike, there are plenty of Ruff's here in PA. My last four days out, starting w/ Thanksgiving and counting today added up to 110 flushes.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.