June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, Ted Schefelbein), 138 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,171
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14294 12/10/06 10:16 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well... I bought a bunch of Cheddite primers (against my better judgement), and 2,000 shells into the run I've had the first pierced primer. Standard 20ga load with WSF, never any pierced WW209's.

Cheddite used to be known for this, but according to the grapevine this problem has been fixed. Not quite...

Anybody else have this happen with recent lots of Cheddite?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not in the last 6-8 months, but only because I refuse to buy any more. The last time I used Cheddite I had roughly 10% punch through.

Fiocchi's are about the same price, never punch through, otherwise work great, and best of all - they're NOT French.

Mark

A sailor's creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bought a box of Cheddite 12g Trap 10 months ago, the first two pierced... Stopped using them and bought Fiocchi instead, never a problem with this (or any other) brand. - Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Earlier thhis year I picked up a couple of boxes Italian made Winchester target loads. I noticed several pierced primers in my Stevens 250. My other guns didn't pierce them and my Stevens doesn't pierce other primers.
I think the Italian Winnies may be Cheddites.

Craig

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member

That is strange what the above results have been. I have shot over 25k of them and my buddy probably 50k with no pierced primers. I have to believe it is probably the difference in guns more than anything else.

Lenard

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LLemke
I have to believe it is probably the difference in guns more than anything else.

What would explain the fact that it's only with Cheddite's? To my knowledge I've never punched through a single Winchester, Remington, or Fiocchi primer with any number of guns; yet I've tried Cheddite's with 3 different guns producing the same results.

Mark

A sailor's creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em."
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Inspection of the empties from last weekend revealed three pierced Cheddites. All were from a Browning XS 20ga, and loaded in old Remington 'Premier' (pre-STS) cases. The AA20 cases and all 12ga show no pierced primers. Humm... those Remington empties did require seperate priming operation because of tight primer pockets. They had all been fired several times previously with WW209 primers. More research is needed here to determine if this is case and/or gun specific.

Either way, it shouldn't happen. I've never pierced a WW209.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble

Shootingstar, I think somethings can't be explained. I have no idea why my friend or I haven't had pierced primers. I normally shoot a half dozen different guns each year, comprised of sxs,o/u, pumps and autos. And I shoot a lot. I certainly could not put my finger on it unless it might be changes in the metal used for the primers. They have always been much cheaper in the west and literally most clay shooters here use them. I have never heard anyone here talk about pierced primers with cheddite.

I don't question that it has happened though.

Lenard

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a word of warning on pierced primers. They are potentially very dangerous.

Some years ago whilst having a skeet lesson from Joe Neville I had a pierced primer in a SxS.

Such was the pressure generated in the action body that a sliver of wood from the right side shoulder of the stock was violently detached. I found it some seven or eight yards away, lying at the foot of a drystone wall. It must have missed my right eye by a coat of varnish. It was about the size of my little finger.

The cause seemed to be a rather sharp edged firing pin; certainly when it was rounded off a bit the problem went away. I'd put a lot of squibs through that gun without anything untoward happening, so I can only speculate that the metal of the cap was thin, or the cap was set a bit high too.

The two things working together, high or thin cap in the Cheddites and a slightly sharp pin, might explain Shotgunjones experience being different from Lenards.

In any case don't take it lightly; it's bloody nasty.

Regards
Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never had a pierced Cheddite primer, but the reason I have to buy them is because they are greater in diameter than 209s and have to be used in Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls as 209s fall out. Only reason I use Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls is to feed my 28 ga, I have over 80 boxes of this factory European fodder to use up! I just think my 11-48 28 ga is one of the best-looking US made shotguns ever.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.