June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Guy Ave, 2 invisible), 199 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,233
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Low velocity, "long range" loads are also an option when "lead equivalent" weight shot is used. I don't have Gough Thomas's data in front of me but I do remember, for example, that he recommended 3 drams of black powder for 1 1/2 ounces of shot. From what I can tell, such loads generate about 1000 f.p.s., give or take. Thomas also recommended British #4s but Don Zutz made a bit more sense to me when he recommended a minimum of Americam #4s for long-range ducks and #3s and #2s for geese. In guns that are compatible with them these loads, using lead shot, were real killers and I suspect that they could be the same with "heavy" non-toxic shot.

Thomas wrote that these loads were originally intended to enable shooters of "game guns" to shoot waterfowl. Some of the older examples of these loads went as slowly as 800- to 850 f.p.s. .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought I would post a few pics from my waterfowl hunt last Friday / Saturday with my dad and a few friends. While it's been extreemly cold here in the mid-Atlantic during the last month or so, last weekend was not so bad (high 20s low 30s AM). The birds have really been great. Last weekend we finished by 0830 (goose). Anyway, I decided to wrap up my year with my Parker 10ga hammer gun which I have yet to take to the field. With the advise from other forum users, I loaded, #2 niceshot over BP with Circle Fly wads. It was a real hoot to see and experience the old Parker flawlessly, belch two huge clouds of black smoke with every toll. Overall, the gun performed well on both days and allowed me to limit out.

I have to say hunting with SxS again is a real blast and the BP added much enjoyment to the day.

Last edited by kcordell; 01/18/10 05:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my 10 ga Parker Hammergun, I load 4 1/4 dr 2 F and 1 3/8 Bismuth(by volume). Works great.I made a miracle 70 yd kill on a Duck with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Screw the Feds. Just use lead shot.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.