September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (J.B.Patton, Birdog, Lloyd3, Gerry Addison, 2 invisible), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,883
Posts550,430
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I recently obtained a very high grade American sidelock double by A. E. Whitmore, Maker, Boston, Mass. I am aware that the maker is Andrew E. Whitmore who had the patents on the early Remington hammer guns and later worked on the Colt hammerless shotgun, among other things. He moved to Boston by 1890 and died there in 1893. I would like information concerning the company he started in Boston, how many guns he produced under his own name, and other pertinent information. My gun has no serial numbers, ejectors, Kilby fine damascus barrels, highly engraved step-down sideplates (almost identical to grade 5-7 Syracuse Smiths--probably done by A. E. Spangler who engraved for Smith and Lefever), and fabulous wood. Can anybody help me with finding more info on this gun and Whitmore's company? Did A. E. Whitmore make other custom guns, or is this one unique?

Last edited by Ken Coleman; 05/08/09 05:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken
I can't answer any of your questions; but did see the gun at the Southern Side x Side; a great piece with a lot of potential!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, I have had a couple of A E Whitmores and a non related Whitmore Safety Hammerless, but I have never seen one with ejectors or sideplates.

Could you post a couple of photos , or if stumped, you could email them to me and I will post them. email is in my profile

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Daryl,

I will take some pictures soon and get them to you for posting. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl
My first glance at this gun and I thought it was Syracuse LC Smith quality 5 with stepped side plates (the engraving is identical to the Smith Quality 5, and I'm convinced the work was done by Spangler). I didn't break the gun down, but it was relatively light weight and was fitted with auto ejectors and double triggers. The stock was well figured with elaborate borders and checkering; at some point finishes had been "restored" and the Damascus barrels had been blued over. Still a heck of a neat gun in my opinion, and it attracted a lot of interest from folks like me and Bill McPhail; I'm glad to know Ken has provided it a good home.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Topgun (Tom),

Frank Finch told me that you showed him the gun and suspected that the engraving was Spangler's. I looked at the pictures of the 5 and 7 grade Smiths in Houchins' book, and the dog scenes are identical to this gun. I do believe you are right about the engraving. This is truly a mystery gun, and I would like to know if he made any more, or if this was a proto-type for him before his death. Bill McPhail from SC sent me some info on Whitmore which referenced an article in the Jan. 1967 Shooting Times, entitled "My Magnificent Whitmore." I am trying to find out a way to get a copy of that article.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
That's correct, because the engraving was so much like the Smith Quality 5, I had shown the gun to Frank and a few other Smith collectors there; Frank later told me that you had purchased the gun, so belated congratulations! As to how to research the piece, there are few collectors of the real odd stuff like this piece; so if collectors like Daryl or Bill can't give you some insight, I have no idea where you should begin. But I certainly wish you good luck and results as you begin your quest!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Tom, I have emailed Shooting Times to see if they have archived copies of their magazine, or know of a similar depository. I feel like that article could be about my very gun, or at least give me some other pertinent information. Thanks for your help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unusual and fantastic Gun-wish I had more to offer.I am sure
you will learn alot about it on this site.
Good Luck
Bill

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't see it. We would sure like some pictures. Who was the dealer?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.