September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (ratt, ksauers1, Travis S), 227 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,892
Posts550,539
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Ross, I will e-mail them to you. I'm not sure how to post pics here. Daryl put the earlier pics up on this site for me. The locking mechanism is very similar to the Remington 1894 that my son owns. You would expect that, seeing Whitmore's earlier relationship with Remington.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You could try some of the used book dealers that specialize in sporting literature. There are quite a few back issues availabler on ebay, but be sure you are getting the North American magazine and not the British one.

However, the best bet is your public library. In all probability they won't have it, but if your librarian is worth his/her salt they will be able to get it for you from a library that does through an inter library loan.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks, Researcher, I will try that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ill post Kens pics later tonight but it is a very interesting and unique design. Ive never seen anything like it.
Ross

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a chapter in Ed Muderlak's book "Shooting Flying" on Whitmore & his association with Remington.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some interesting pics of the guns mechanism. Two bolts thru the barrel extension, looks like the forend lug is adjustable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was looking at my American arms co Whitmores and had forgotten they had a fixed tapered lug that the barrel extension rested on when closed. When I first saw Ken's gun I thought that both the lugs were actuated by the top lever (reminded me a little of a French Ideal) but after looking at my guns I suppose the angled lug is fixed. Is that right Ken, or does the top lever retract both lugs? On my guns the lug is manually adjustable for wear by turning a screw on the bottom of the action.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Ross, both lugs are actuated by the top lever. The smaller lug closest to the breech is fixed, the larger lug toward the muzzle has screws in the bottom, which you can see in the 4th photo you posted for me. In the 2nd picture, the two pieces of metal in the square lug holes retract toward the face when the lever is pushed, thus disengaging both lugs and the gun opens. Does that help?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, thats what I thought. Its hard to see in the pic of my gun but there is a fixed lug that mates with the barrel extension(dolls head) but my gun does not have the top bolt that retracts (or swivels) with the top lever. My terminology is wrong when I was talking about lugs before. I should have said the top bolt that engages the slot in the barrel extension. When I first saw your gun I was thinking that both the top bolt and tapered lug (for the second slot in the barrel extension(rib))moved with the top lever. After looking at my guns it was clear that only the top bolt moved with the lever(and of course the bottom bolt that engages both barrel lugs) As you can see with this pic, my gun has a similar slot in the barrel extension(rib) that mates with a fixed lug in the receiver but no slot for a top bolt. For lockup my guns only use a bottom bolt that engages the bottom barrel lugs.

I didnt word my question very well, I hope this clears it up a little.

Last edited by reb87; 05/09/09 10:24 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken--

Very interesting and lovely gun.

This may not be of much help, but a similar gun was sold by Eldred Auction Gallery in 2000 (See Lot #70; http://www.eldreds.com/sales/gallery.php...;increment=100)

Perhaps they have some information, but it may be too long ago.

In any event, keep us posted--it is a very nice Boston shotgun.

Berrien Moore

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.