Originally Posted By: PALUNC

Also would Atkin Grant and Lang been involved and were they incorperated with them at that time?

In 1964, yes, Hussey was still a part of the collection of businesses that Grant & Lang succeeded to over the years (Grant & Lang succeeded to the Hussey business in 1930). AGL ceased to trade in 1980 and the names were sold off. When Cyril Adams bought Atkin Grant & Lang in the early '80s, it's my understanding that he bought only those names, as he did not want Lancaster, Watson Brothers, etc. I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think he ever owned the rights to the Hussey name. Cyril sold AGL to the current owner, Ken Duglan, in the late '90s.

I don't think AGL had anything to do with these barrels.

PALUNC, when the barrels of a nice London best are finally worn out or irreparably damaged, the owner is in a very tough spot. Let me give you an example.

A good friend had a nice Holland .500/.465 double rifle. It blew up. Stock, action and fore-end were fine, but the barrels toast. To preserve the most value, you have it rebarreled by the maker. Holland wanted 18,000 GBP, $35,000 at the time. He could have had it done by other makers in London or Birmingham, folks capable of a very high standard of work, for half that and had a lovely, superb shooter - that would have been worth only slightly more than the cost of the new barrels.

It's been that way for living memory. The barrels are either by the maker or not. It has a big impact on value, and the trade knows it. That's why top, West End London makers can get full rate card plus for such work on best guns of their own make. No free lunches - you either pay for the maker's work, or save a lot of money and take the value hit on the nose. Your guy decided that he only wanted to pay for a nice shooter that fit his needs back in '64, and that's what it remains today - a really beautiful shooter. A gun like this...why not just keep it and use it that way?

Quote:
So I would say these are replacement barrels and are faily current. So how does that affect my asking price?

Be realistic. Say you priced it at $6,950. I would direct any friends looking for one to George L.'s Hussey instead, and why not? It has more recent replacement barrels by the maker, plus the original barrels sleeved by the maker, asking $6,950. I think you get the idea.

For the record, I doubt anyone here that actually knows British guns thought that you were trying to be anything but honest. Unfortunately, I think the circumstances have pulled you along the learning curve in a way that was unexpected and, perhaps, less than pleasant. Don't let it bother you. Sincerely, best of luck with your sale. It's a beautiful gun.

Last edited by 400 Nitro Express; 06/12/09 03:54 PM.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."