September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (jake van dyke, ArtLavely, GETTEMANS, 12boreman, eeb, 1 invisible), 672 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,855
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Saw a 12 gauge 28 inch mod/full BC Miroku sxs at a gun show on Saturday. Double triggers with extractors in near perfect condition (some minor handling marks on the wood). Beavertail and pistol grip. Decent dimensions to a plastic buttplate. My only complaint about the gun was that the checkering had been largely filled in by the finish, but that's relatively easy and cheap to fix.

Couple of questions:

1. Is $395 a fair price? I've never seen one before and my first impression was that it was a lot of shotgun for that kind of money. Given that Stevens and Fultons in similar shape are seeing even higher asking prices, I thought this might be a sleeper.

2. Anything to watch out for on these? I recall Miroku made shotguns for a number of US brands that seem to have pretty good reputations. Given double triggers and extractors, there doesn't seem to be a lot that could go wrong, but I thought I'd ask.

3. Steel compatible? If I bought it, I'd use it as a pheasant/duck gun.

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see tham for more in the $750 neighborhood. $395 sounds like a very good price.
I doubt they were made with the steel BS in mind. The chokes are probably too tight, even if the barrel steel will stand the steel shot. Someone else can tell us what he knows about steel compatability.
The checkering being full of finish sounds like some clod sprayed it full, after leaving the factory.
I have had some of them and wouldn't hesitate to buy another, if it feels good in your hands.

> Jim Legg <

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

As you describe it, that price is very reasonable! I would look it over carefully for you don't usually see prices that low at gun shows. Mirokus are nearly the same as Browning BSSs except the BSS usually has a single trigger and they bring prices of $1000. or more. A nice Miroku sold on this site for $500. not long ago and that was a fair price in my opinion. The Miroku is not considered steel shot compatible, but some shoot steel out of them anyway with open chokes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Daly Miroku 500 12ga is my dedicated steelshot gun. I paid a seller on this site $650 for it 3 or 4 years ago and felt like I got my moneys worth. It had started out as a 28" with full and modified chokes like the one you saw, but someone, maybe Jim Legg (I think he claimed it once), had opened the chokes to IC and Mod, installed a 'magnum' recoil pad and oil finished the wood before I got it. Trouble free gun...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

$395 is downright cheap, and that gun is a no-brainer even if you don't really need it. As long as the chokes are open enough and you use the right length shells, steel is OK in these. The Miroku (and Daly) 500 tends to be lighter than the somewhat comparable BSS, so you will feel the recoil with duck loads. Probably the best value going for utilitarian SxS's, and very reliable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a steal at that price.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Again, great gun. I wouldnt shoot steel in it, afraid I would pop the ribs.

Last edited by Lawrence Kotchek; 06/15/09 12:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grab it and run. The steel used in the BSS is much tougher than the Belgian Brownings per gun guru at Browning.

Would also apply for Mirokus as Miroku made the BSS.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
M&M Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree it's a good gun at a good price. A friend bought one last year for $450 in good condition and really likes it. As Replacement said, it's the same gun as the Charles Daly 500, but with double triggers. The chopperlump barrels impressed me. I would be careful of steel with the tight chokes. Open them or install steel compatible screw in chokes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would buy it in a heart beat! I love 2 triggers for one thing. If you don't buy it, tell me how I can get it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.