June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (btbell), 305 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,014
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Model 500 is a better gun than the BSS. It stays more true to the Anson & Deeley action- the BSS deviates a little. It has chopper-lump barrels- the BSS doesn't. The 500 has double trigger- the BSS has single triggers. Most 500s have extractors and the BSS has ejectors. Some 500s (not any imported by Charles Daly) have ejectors.

Not long ago, I passed on a Miroku 500E. It was an ejector gun with an English stock and splinter for end. It had color case hardened receiver with scroll engraving. It looked like your typical Anson & Deeley style game gun. It was priced somewhere around $1100. But it was 12ga so I didn't really want it. A few months ago, there was another 500E on Gunbroker. It was a little worn cosmetically and a it was also a 12ga so I passed. It was listed for $800.

I did have a Model 500 in 20ga (imported by Charles Daly). It was fantastic gun but it I didn't shoot it very well. I sold it for $700.

The Miroku SXSs are real sleepers. NONE of the new imports can compare!

Adam

Last edited by Adam Stinson; 06/16/09 09:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any smith with carbide cutters will have no problem with chrome. Probably cost a few extra bucks.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have six of those (Miroku 500, Daly 500, BSS, early Citori) in various configurations, plus an extra set of barrels, and none of them have chrome lining. One of the BSS 20's had the chokes opened before I got it, and the Citori 12 was fitted with Colonial screw chokes. No problems; one BSS 20 has had steel through it, and the Citori 12 was my go-to duck/goose gun for several years and has had a LOT of steel through it.

My 12ga Daly 500 feels lighter in hand than my BSS 12 Sporter(both 28" barrels), but the BSS 20 Sporters feel trimmer than the 20ga Miroku 500. My 500's are both PG and my BSS's are all Sporters (English grip and small BT). The best point of comparison I can come up with for the Miroku 500 in 20 gauge would be the CSMC RBL 20, and the Miroku is a whole lot less money.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked it up yesterday afternoon. Ended up paying $400 out the door - sales tax, background check fee, the whole works. Will shoot it tomorrow, but I'm really pleased with the buy. One correction to the description I posted: It has a coin finished receiver, not a blued one.

Talking to the dealer, he noted that the market for sporting guns is virtually dead. All the money is going into semi-automatic pistols and rifles and reloading components, particularly primers. He said he'd have gotten at least another $100 for the Miroku a year ago. May be a good time to make a low-ball offer on one of those low to medium priced sporters, shotguns or revolvers you've had your eye on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Coin finish? Could it be a Grade II? Pics?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There was a grade II? I had no idea.

I'll have to see if I can figure out how to use my wife's camera. I'm strictly a film guy and they don't turn out too well very often.

there is a reasonably price one at Cabela's in Hazelwood MO. go figure.

"No man's property is safe when the Legislature is in session." NY Supreme Court
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of them did have a coin finished receiver, although most were blued. I recall one I had marked "Western Field" (the old Wards name) with coin finish. The one I currently have is like Rapscallion's, and is a near twin to a Miroku Model M I had years ago and always regretted letting go. Both had CC receivers, DT/straight/splinter--looked for all the world like basic Brummie boxlocks. (Most of the Daly 500's were PG, and I think a good majority had a BT forend.) This one is marked Hibiki/Kawaguchiya Firearms Corp, Tokyo--the latter part exactly like my Miroku Model M. The Hibiki, for which I paid $400 at a recent gun show, has ejectors; the Miroku M was an extractor gun. But they're all solid guns, and anything under $500 is an excellent price if in decent condition, IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, I just picked up a Westernfield/Miroku 28" 20ga strong 95%, and it has BLUED reciever with a little tastful engraving, very nicely grained wood; 6lb 3 oz. But it doesn't have chopper lump barrels like the Daly/Miroku/Miroku guns. It does have the large hinge pins like Mirokus at .380.

I let one get away from me a year ago for $520; but probably about 90%. I might have paid too much in today's market $550; but I didn't want to miss another one.

BTW, it has checkering in the wrist like I've never seen; bottom and top legs taper all the way to within 1/4" of the receiver.

AND REMINGTON40X, sounds like you got a good deal.

Last edited by Patriot USA; 06/23/09 11:40 PM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

Patriot USA, sounds like a fair deal to me on a 20ga. Pictures would be nice to see of this gun. If you even think you paid too much, how long will you look to find this gun and will the price have moved up with inflation as you look for it? I have been some what looking for a Miroku made SxS as I love the double triggers. I was extremely foolish to have sold a SKB Royal that I fit another barrel set to it as well. Loved that gun and it's double triggers. Why do us gun nuts sell some of these guns....what an extremely dumb move that was!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.