June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 273 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,603
Posts546,896
Members14,426
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
zwego Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am interested in building or buying a sporting clays gun to be used in sxs competition and would appreciate any input. I am willing to spend about $3-4000 to build this gun. I saw a recent post with someone using a Browning BSS 30” to do this and that is certainly an option. However, I would like something with a bit better wood and a little finer triggers (although the BSS I use for skeet is very good). Guns that I am considering are the RBL 12 g with pistol grip & beavertail forearm w single trigger (not sure of the trigger for competition), a Bernadelli Las Palomas pigeon gun with aftermarket chokes, a Beretta 411 or 471, a Win 21 if I can find one at this price point or the modified BSS. I didn’t think an older gun would hold up as well as one of these, although I would be open to suggestions.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Z

Sidelock
Sidelock

At the price point you mention, you won't have a lot of room for modifications, restocking, or upgrades, so I would suggest buying a gun you like in its present configuration, either out of the box or the way you find it. I would agree with the 30" BSS, the Model 23 Heavy Duck, an RBL 30" or 32", Beretta Silver Hawk 30", or a rusty Model 21 that hasn't been shot much. The Model 21 should be rusty only to keep the price within your limits. In your situation, I would order the RBL in the configuration of your choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm model 21 eh? Maybe you should check out my for sale post in the guns for sale section. You might have to do a seach as its probably a couple of pages back. We aren't that far off on price. JW

Sidelock
Sidelock

sakaba 385 or 485 sporting clays model with vr and briley inter-chokes as standard features. sadly only available on 2nd-hand market now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Model 21 Duck, Model 23 Heavy Duck and RBL-12 are all good choices for sporting clays. I own one of each. The Model 21 has the style and grace of a fine gun. The Model 23 is somewhat graceful and of a very solid solid. The RBL is the absolute best value.

For about $3000 one can order an RBL with a beavertail fore end and 30" or 32" barrels. The RBL comes with Tru Lock chokes that are marked safe for use with Hevi Shot. My RBL-12 has 32" barrels, 4x wood (heavier that the standard 2x), BTFE, and vent rib, and weighs 9 pounds 3 ounces. That seems heavy but the gun handles amazingly well for something of that weight. Once I swing it I don't have to worry about "stopping the swing"! It just crushes targets that I thought I was too slow for... Oh, the $500 vent rib option is not necessary. Put that money into a wood upgrade.

PS: Since you live in RI which is close to CSMC in CN why don't you call Lou in their gun room and arrange a visit? They should have more than a few Model 21's and a RBL-12 or two that you could compare.

Last edited by MarkOue; 06/19/09 11:41 AM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

For a whole lot less $$$, one can purchase a nice used Husqvarna, Simpson, or Sauer (under $800) with 28" or 30" barrels; and then add choke tubes and a new recoil pad. If interested, look on-line at Simpson Ltd. in Galesburg, IL. Cabela's also has several of these lower-priced greman SxS's.

Jerry G

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry brings up a good point. I left out low mileage low grade Foxes and Parkers because I thought the original poster wanted competition style stocking, ribs, single trigger, etc. In real life side by side competition, good shooters using standard field style Sauers, Parkers, Smiths, you name it, score right up there with those who use full race side by sides. Some of the highest scoring competitors at the Smith-Parker Challenge at the Southern Side by Side Shoot use long barrel standard field style guns, even hammer guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Second suggestion of plain version of Sauer, Merkel or Husqvarna top lever doubles, either external or internal hammers. I use such old hammer doubles with 75-80+ cm barrels (about 30-33 inches) and various solid chokes for clay target games and also for all my bird hunting. Most I have paid for any was about USD1000.

Aside from finding one in excellent mechanical condition, finding one stocked such that it mounts and points and swings really well for you is main issue.

To get heavier weights will likely have to go with internal hammer doubles in 12 bore.

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess it depends on how much/many shells you shoot...but I'd always go with the nice older Gun...for the prettysoul factor..as long as it fits, but thats just me...like a medium pigeon or duck gun this one is only 1200$...bet you could find a lovely vintage Boxlock Extract in fine shape to fit you for 3/4000 if you look hard http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12446
good luck
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 06/19/09 04:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are almost no SxS's that can withstand heavy competitive clays use. An RBL with adjustable comb and a warranty comes closest.
The warranty just for the sake of relatively prompt repair service, as compared to the Sakaba's.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.